Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Christmas cookie exchange ideas >

Christmas cookie exchange ideas

Christmas cookie exchange ideas

Old 11-22-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Christmas cookie exchange ideas

I volunteered to host this years' exchange. It is a small group of us. Any fun ideas for this? Favorite cookies to make? Thanks
sandy
Old 11-22-2016, 04:09 PM

I make only 3. Always a batch of cut outs, the other 2 are up for grabs every year. No help, was I?
Old 11-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

Saw a cute one to pop in between cookies on a tray. You put the little square waffle pretzels on a silk pat tray liner or parchment paper, put an unwrapped Hershey kiss on top and warm for 20 seconds ( I think) and immediately press a red M&M into the center.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I am in favor of cookies that keep well in the freezer and do not look overly handled.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:20 PM

Any family favorite recipes hanging around? Stuff the average person doesn't make? That would be my go-to.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Saw a cute one to pop in between cookies on a tray. You put the little square waffle pretzels on a silk pat tray liner or parchment paper, put an unwrapped Hershey kiss on top and warm for 20 seconds ( I think) and immediately press a red M&M into the center.
Love easy!
sandy
Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 PM

I always have mine in the late morning and serve oj (both plain and fortified) and a quiche and sweet rolls and fruit. Then for cookies, I always make sure to have extras for the party, but also do at least one bar cookie--they seem to pack well and usually are freezable. We always bring 4-5 doz, at least 3 kinds. We don't do games, but instead just chat and relax before the crazy of Christmas.
Oh--one of my all time favs for cookies is gingerbread people! Go great with a cup of tea on those late nights when I'm finishing up presents!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Yes, definitely make them freezer-worthy, not fragile . Not powdered as it gets yucky when thawing.

I'd ask the group to see what they'd LIKE to make, and what they'd LIKE to receive. Keep in mind that some people will sign up to MAKE cheap and easy cookies but will be receiving cookies that cost a lot more in ingredients and time to make. I sure don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, but I stopped doing cookie exchanges after a few years of making "party pretty" cookies but getting plain Janes in exchange . It wasn't worth my effort.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Pretzel M&M Hugs

70 square pretzels
70 Hershey Hugs (almost 1 12 oz. pkg)
70 M&M green and red Christmas ones

Line a cookie sheet with Silpat or parchment paper and place a single layer of pretzel squares. Top with an unwrapped Hershey Hug. Bake at 200* for 4-5 minutes until chocolates are shiny and soft ( but not melting, the chocolates should still hold their shape). Remove from oven and place M&M in the center and press down. Refrigerate about 5 minutes until set. Store in airtight container.

Old 11-23-2016, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I am in favor of cookies that keep well in the freezer and do not look overly handled.

What does "overly handled" mean?
Sandy