DVD problems with W 10

Old 12-11-2016, 05:46 PM

Default DVD problems with W 10

When I did the FREE version of W 10 there were many things that I didn't understand... My laptop had W7 on it and that was a huge learning curve for me.... but honestly I have become so disillusioned with the W10 update... so many changes... and not enough advice or guidance. I always used my laptop to watch DVDs..... but now.... that isn't possible (at least that is the way I understand it.... unless I pay for a download) I see the cnet has a free download so that my DVD might play.... ugh... I just don't understand all these changes with technology.... Has anyone downloaded the free version from cnet and been happy with viewing their DVDs?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:04 AM

Sorry, can't help you, sounds like a modern rabbit hole........
Old 12-12-2016, 06:59 PM

Windows 10 is just basically a very basic windows operating system with only a few things thrown in that in my opinion are pretty worthless. Everything else you have to go get what they call an "app" or program to run it. All this was built in to previous windows versions, media player etc. I don't mind having to go out and look for apps, but I don't have the knowledge and don't think most people do for that matter, to know which sites are good ones to down load from or if the "app" or "program" is a good one or not and there isn't anything out there but a lot of advertising to help you. The only thing I can tell you is maybe go talk to a computer shop and see if they will recommend what app or program you should use and where a reputable place to download from is. Windows 10 leaves a whole lot to be desired in my estimation. Hope this is of some help to you.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:08 PM

Windows 10 made my asus tablet useless,I cant get the sound to work and it runs so slow that it is now junk. Worst thing I did was up date to windows 10! So many people have had problems because it makes things not work .
Old 12-12-2016, 10:33 PM

VLC Media Player was added to my computer with Windows 10 by my Geek. I believe it is free software to watch DVDs.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 AM

I bought a new HP laptop this past summer because I needed to update for my embroidery software. I must say, W 10 is the worst I have ever had. I do not find it user friendly at all. Fortunately it will just be used for the program. I use a Mac in real life!!! I had to get Windows because I had just bought a new program 4 months before the computer. All my other sewing computerized stuff was meant for Windows, so I felt like I was obligated to buy it. It works for what I need it for, the update would not work on my old laptop.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:42 AM

I have not heard anyone who likes W10 in my limited set of friends. I don't have it and will never get it.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 AM

I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8 a few years ago and hated it. Nothing made sense and I couldn't find anything. Windows 10 is a little better. It behaves a little more like Win 7. I'm ready to trash the whole thing and go with a MACBook. They have an app that will let you run programs written for Windows. So that won't be a problem.

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I have not heard anyone who likes W10 in my limited set of friends. I don't have it and will never get it.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM

I had Windows 8.1 and was okay with it. My hard drive died, was replaced and Windows 10 was installed on the new hard drive. I was not happy. Talked to my lady Geek at Best Buy and she told me what I had to do Would any one go back to an Outhouse, no electricity, no furnace for heating? Our lives will always have changes.

Last edited by mjkgquilt; 12-13-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: correcting information
Old 12-13-2016, 06:00 PM
mac

Wow! Such disgust for Windows 10. I have to say that I went from XP to Windows 10 and except for the learning curve I blew through it. It is a lot better than XP ever was and I was a die-hard fan of XP, so I never had W7 or 8. And I do not have any kids, grandkids, computer geeks or any one who understands computers to help me out. I have never seen so many words that I understand in a paragraph when reading computer instructions that do make sense when put all together. It sometimes feels like I am reading another language, even though it is all in English.

I do have to say that some things were a lot easier to get to in XP, but that is how progress is. Hopefully you will have more things that are better and only a few headaches. Hope you all find a happy medium, because it is never going back to the way it was.