Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Iron >

New Iron

New Iron

Old 12-17-2016, 11:14 AM

Default New Iron

Settled on a new iron. I bought a Hamilaton Beach Durathon Digital iron. The selling point being a 10 year warranty. It was $60, around here the average price is $40 -$50. It was the most expensive one at Walmart. Like 6 to choose from.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Hope you like it. I have always had good luck with Hamilton Beach. I bought a new iron from Costco a while ago, because my other iron started scorching everything. I love how it cleans up by just ironing over a used dryer sheet, but there are times when it doesn't seem to get hot enough. It is a Sunbeam, I haven't used it with water for steam because I thought that was the problem with the other iron.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:40 PM

Nothing like a new iron. Glad you stayed away from the Rowenta's. I'm on my 2nd one and it started leaking like a sieve in less than a year. THAT's why the store replaced the 1st one. SO it's a dry only iron, and I use my very old Black & Decker for steam.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:03 PM

I like my HB iron too. I'm curious - what specifically does the warranty cover?
Old 12-18-2016, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter View Post
Nothing like a new iron. Glad you stayed away from the Rowenta's. I'm on my 2nd one and it started leaking like a sieve in less than a year. THAT's why the store replaced the 1st one. SO it's a dry only iron, and I use my very old Black & Decker for steam.
Same here, my Rowenta just started leaking like a puppy in less than 2 years but I like your idea of keeping it as a dry only iron. I just purchased a B&D D2030 for about $45 because of it's customer ratings.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:50 AM

I guess I got very fortunate. I bought my Rowenta well over ten years ago and have never had a problem with it. It has been a great iron.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:12 AM

I need / could use a new one but have not found one I love, thanks for the information.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I like my HB iron too. I'm curious - what specifically does the warranty cover?

I was curious about the warranty too. Looking at Amazon it appears that the 10 year warranty covers only the sole plate, the rest of the iron is the usual 1 year warranty.

Impressive reviews of the iron however, I think that it is rare for an iron to last more than the warranty these days as I think they are considered a disposable item. At the $40 price point of this particular that averages @ a little over $3 a month for the warranty period of 12 months.

I'm needing to replace a Shark that has died after 3 years and since I look at all irons as disposable and therefore I will only spend under $40 for any iron.

I looked at this Hamilton Beach and decided I'd try it. Amazon is out of stock, however the Amazon Warehouse had one "New" with damaged box for $30 w/Prime free ship, no tax and here on Wednesday. So if it lasts through the warranty, my cost is going to be $2.50 a month...plus I like the retractable cord feature.

God Bless the people who have irons like visqt states that her Rowenta Iron has lasted 10 years! I have my Rowenta that's probably nearing 20 years old and I can only use it as a dry iron and now as a back-up with spray bottle til the new iron arrives.

I'd love to entertain the notion to have the 'fun' Oliso Iron but it has very poor reviews not only on Amazon but quilting/forums sites. I loved the concept ever since I saw Jenny Doan using the Oliso, just slide aside and it 'pops' up! But again its price point is way past my comfort zone due to my self definition, that this is another small appliance that is manufactured to be disposed of in a very short time.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-18-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Same here, my Rowenta just started leaking like a puppy in less than 2 years but I like your idea of keeping it as a dry only iron. I just purchased a B&D D2030 for about $45 because of it's customer ratings.
I don't think I ever put water in any of my irons. I love my HB iron, I keep a mister bottle to spray on items to iron.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

hmmm, i will have to take a look at one. my black and decker shuts off it not in use. trouble is I'm ironing when it starts beeping and will shut off if i don't turn it upright (pointing up) and then back down. sigh. makes me so mad. but then i can iron more for awhile. i am using it and hearing the water slosh and it wants to shut off! so far it works well other than that.