Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please suggest a backing fix >

Please suggest a backing fix

Please suggest a backing fix

Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Please suggest a backing fix

I'm not sure how this happened, but somehow I ended up with excess skinny pie-shaped bit of fabric on my backing. It's about 16 inches long and grows from about .5- 1.5 inches wide long folded over.

My first mistake was sewing the binding to the back and bringing it to the front (meant to do the opposite). GRRRR. But that isn't really an issue now. It's the aesthetics on the back. I don't like how you can see the pie shaped excess.

Do I simply sew it down by hand with white thread and call it done?

or

Do I undo the binding along that 16-18" side, unsew, trim, resew, rebind?

Either way a seam will show that's about a 30 degree angle to the edge.

or...

Do I incorporate a label to cleverly mask the flub?

Or something else you could think of?

My friend who will be receiving this for chemo treatments is not a quilter , so won't be inspecting it for faults, but I do want to be proud of it. All I saw is this fault that's glaring at me, and I'm just not sure what to do.

Please help! I know you all have seen and heard just about the mistakes out there, so I'm sure (hoping) this isn't the first of its kind.

Hold on a sec for pictures.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Here are 3 photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565822[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565823[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]565824[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fullsizerender-9-.jpg   fullsizerender-10-.jpg   img_1243.jpg  
Old 01-15-2017, 07:34 PM

I would do the frog stitch (rip-it) and straighten it out That way you did your best.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 PM

Pretty Quilt and your friend will love it.

Could you do the little quilting swirls a 2nd time around and cover the fold up that way? That might be a fast fix.

Or could you just take out that particular area of binding and pull the excess over and resew? I'm so OCD that I'd probably take enough of the binding off redo that small spot. It's a hassle, BUT I suspect it will bother you to high Heaven if you don't.
So it's more swirls or The Froggie Dance.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

Not long ago I had to take a great big area out and fix it. As in almost start over pinning most of the whole quilt.
I must be happy with my work or I fix it.
Do whatever will make you pleased with it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM

Is that flannel? Did you pre-wash it? If not, I'd wash it and dry it and see what happens. Some flannel shrinks so much it may be hardy noticeable afterward. If it doesn't look better, I personally, would probably stitch it down and call it good. Or appliqué something over it. Your friend would probably never even notice it, because who looks at the back of a quilt? But you can do something to make yourself feel better about it.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:59 PM
Power Poster

If it is a flap of extra fabric, I would take off the binding and fix it. It looks from the picture that your binding isn't that far along on the other side so it won't be too big a job.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Yes, it's flannel on the back, regular cotton on front. W&N batting. Already quilted and bound (except for 12 inches) .
Old 01-15-2017, 10:33 PM

I'd take out the binding and trim and then re-bind. You can do that without taking all the binding off--put a pin either side of the flub and just take out the stitches where you need to trim the flub. Start in the center and carefully snip one stitch, then carefully back out the stitches going both directions--if you don't break the stitches you should end up with enough thread to knot where you have the pins--then it's just a matter of trimming and stitching the binding down. I had to do this when someone put the sleeve on the wrong end of the quilt and stitched it into the binding.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 AM

rip it out, smooth it, and resew binding.