Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double Irish Chain quilt pattern and your favorite quilt books >

Double Irish Chain quilt pattern and your favorite quilt books

Double Irish Chain quilt pattern and your favorite quilt books

Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Default Double Irish Chain quilt pattern and your favorite quilt books

I just bought GORGEOUS fabric to make a double Irish Chain quilt but I have no pattern for it. You see, I went to my local Ben Franklin store to buy fabric to make a doll dress and this woman and I reached for the same fabric at the same time and laughed and then started talking and she is just phenomenal in what she makes - she had phone pics - so I became inspired to scrap the doll dress and make a quilt. It was suggested I make a double Irish chain and in looking at it fell in love with the pattern but I can't find a free one that gives me the detail that I need at this point, seeing that I haven't sewn a quilt in about 10 years, and they had no pattern for it there or at JoAnn's (yes, I made a special trip!) and that's okay, so I'm wondering if you can recommend a quilt book that gives me that pattern and a few others, in different quilt sizes.

Your favorite quilt books will be helpful too. I guess I need to start again!! So excited!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:22 PM

I googled it and several free pattern sites came up. Jennybeyer.com and Quilterscache.com were two of them.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

I think that elenore burns has some great books with really good instructions for most any type of quilt you are looking to make. They are very beginner friendly, so I feel confident in suggesting them to you. She does have an irish chain one reasonably priced.
The other place I would suggest is an on line place called quilter's cache. (quilter'scache.com) It has tons of free block patterns all free for the downloading. And again , I am sure they have that pattern there in a few sizes.

Check out the library too. I have checked out many a book to make a quilt.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 01-21-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 PM

Good idea, the library, and the quilter's cache and Eleanor Burns suggestions. I will definitely browse a little better.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:40 PM

I like pat bono chains of love in her quick rotary cutter quilts book
Old 01-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Check on Amazon - they have a lot of used books for under a dollar + the cost of shipping. I have bought quite a few quilt books that way. My favorite Irish Chain book it "Time for a Chain" it has all sizes of chains - single, double, triple chains.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:46 PM

I second a Time for a Chain. It has different sizes and types of Irish Chain, single ,double and triple Irish Chain. Used copies are very cheap on Amazon.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:53 AM

I agree with everyone on the book "Time for a Chain." I really like Eleanor Burns as she has many sizes of quilts you can make and it has pictures too. I am a visual person so if I can see the making of the project I can usually figure it out. Good luck and welcome back to quilting.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:45 AM

http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...t-pattern.html is the web site I use for the chain I'm working on. I'm making a double chain with the focal fabric being mickey faces and the other 2 colors red and black.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:50 AM

I've made a number of Irish Chain quilts, using the generations website that berryberry posted. Great instructions.