Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I organize for string piecing on a foundation? >

How do I organize for string piecing on a foundation?

How do I organize for string piecing on a foundation?

Old 09-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Default How do I organize for string piecing on a foundation?

I got my 8" squares of Vilene for the foundation. I have strips I cut ages ago in 1.5", 2" and 2.5" widths. And I am finding it extremely difficult to choose strips for the string piecing. What I am finding is that I have tons of blue colored strips, but only a smattering of other colors. I can decide to do a neutral center strip, but after that I am having tremendous difficulty. I think an all blue strip=pieced quilt would be extremely boring.

I think I need to cut more strips in colors other than blue (talk about proliferation!) -- I have some yellows, oranges and reds. Before I do that, though, I am wondering if I should limit myself to batiks and batik-like fabrics. Seems to me that all the batiks mix togethe nicely, but the floral strips I have (about 20% of my strips) and other non-batiks stand out like sore thumbs.

I really do not want to mix all these strips into a single paper bag and pull them out (the wrinkling alone would madden me). I think I need to decide first on a theme -- such as batiks.

Any advice???

Edit: It's true that you cannot iron Vilene. Don't ask me how I found that out.

Edit2: And should I be using a system for darks and lights? Seems to me that a lot of darks together won't look that great (or a block of all lights).

Last edited by Prism99; 09-04-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Ah, yes, the 'don't iron the vilene' rule. Good rule.
Personally, with string quilts, I think the element that pulls them all together is the center strip being consistent.

You might want to consider doing all the blocks with a neutral center, one all blue side and one multi. I think this would give you several different layouts. I have seen scrap quilts in all batiks, and batik/quilting cotton mixes. If you don't like the mixed look, then go with all one or the other. As far as lights and darks, another way to go would be darks on one side and lights on the other. Not a lot of help!
Old 09-04-2015, 02:30 PM

You sound just like me. I really struggle with scrap quilts. My scrappies tend to be more matchy matchy. Do what you think looks good. You will not enjoy working on it if you don't like the colours.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 PM

I love making string quilts. My size block of choice is 7 inches and I use really thin fabric but any size is ok. It does work nicely to put the same color in the center. I have piles of light and dark strips in bins--doesn't get so wrinkled and just pull from each pile. Sounds like you need some more colors--consider taking fabric from your stash that has been too long on the shelf. A lady that does doll clothes gives me her scraps and the tutti fruitee which I remember as seersucker made lovely blocks. Also the smaller size strips give a zing of color to the block. Do a block or two. My first ones looked so ugly until they were trimmed. I'm sorry you're having a hard time. This is supposed to be fun.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:17 PM

Hi Prism99, I'm doing a scrappy QAYG and initially I had the same problem as you.....too much of one colour/tone and just couldn't see how anything looked good together. But i was determined to make this quilt just from all my leftover scraps and not try to limit it to fabric types so I decided to do 2 things: firstly, I am using a centre strip which is the same for every block, in my case it's a thin black strip, and secondly, I am refusing to fuss over "matching". All my strips are in a big tub and I am just diving in for each strip. I found that when I had them all arranged in colours and widths I got too indecisive about selection....much better for me to just fossick through my tub and see what I pull out each time! Once every strip is sewn and the block trimmed/squared all the different colours and patterns seem to suddenly enjoy each others company! I've got batiks and plains, old style floral and geometrics, pastels and bolds. What looked "odd" at placement looked fine once the whole block was completed. I think the same coloured central strip gives a point of focus and a sense of order that actually complements the myriad of different fabrics used.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-04-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add
Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 PM

You do need a mix of light and dark. Too boring without the contrast. You just have to give up the control and pull strips. Putting all blue on one side and mixed on the other may work. You have to get several done and lay them out to see what you get. When I made one the blocks looked horrible. After I got them together, I love it. You can use the trial blocks for a doll quilt if you are not happy with them
Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM

I use white for the centers. The rest is totally scrappy. I just try not to have 2 of the same pcs. in each square. What is wrong with using mostly blues & throwing in another color every once in awhile?
Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 PM

I have just made the one black and white print string quilt with the yellow centers, but have more planned. It Depends upon the look you want, but I probably would not mix cotton prints with batiks unless the colors were in the same hues. I also think contrasting color values play a pretty important role in the overall look of a string quilt. I alternated black background strips with white background strips. So think about that (alternating light and dark strips) or putting all darks on one side and all lights on the other gives a whole different dimension to the overall quilt. I know some can be happy doing the "grab bag" approach, I just can't bring myself to do it!!! I am currently working on a modern wonky log cabin in bright colors and find myself choosing each color strip individually as I build the block taking into account the other colors in each block. I guess I am just too controlling to be able to go truly random. Oh and I do think you should cut more color strips to have a good cross spectrum unless you have a specific color theme in mind.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529780[/ATTACH]

Prisim, you sound like me! It's hard to make a string/scrappy quilt without wanting to organize it in some way. This is the only one I've made so far. Decided to use black as the middle strip. Then, I just had the strips cut in various lengths and widths and started sewing. The only thing I tried to make sure of was to not have the same colors back to back. It was hard to not "design" it. HA, HA.
Attached Thumbnails img_3888.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 AM

Hillcountrygirl, I love your quilt.