Old 09-04-2015, 03:17 PM
ruby2shoes

Hi Prism99, I'm doing a scrappy QAYG and initially I had the same problem as you.....too much of one colour/tone and just couldn't see how anything looked good together. But i was determined to make this quilt just from all my leftover scraps and not try to limit it to fabric types so I decided to do 2 things: firstly, I am using a centre strip which is the same for every block, in my case it's a thin black strip, and secondly, I am refusing to fuss over "matching". All my strips are in a big tub and I am just diving in for each strip. I found that when I had them all arranged in colours and widths I got too indecisive about selection....much better for me to just fossick through my tub and see what I pull out each time! Once every strip is sewn and the block trimmed/squared all the different colours and patterns seem to suddenly enjoy each others company! I've got batiks and plains, old style floral and geometrics, pastels and bolds. What looked "odd" at placement looked fine once the whole block was completed. I think the same coloured central strip gives a point of focus and a sense of order that actually complements the myriad of different fabrics used.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-04-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: add