Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilts without foundation piecing? >

String quilts without foundation piecing?

String quilts without foundation piecing?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 AM

Default String quilts without foundation piecing?

I just love string quilts. I love scraps. However, I do not like paper piecing- sewing through paper, ripping it out, ugh. I don't like piecing on top of other fabric because it makes the quilt bulky when I FMQ on my sewing machine. Does anybody have any successes with making strings without a foundation? I understand the benefits of using foundation piecing, but I would never complete a project with this method. Thanks.
Linda
Old 04-21-2013, 04:22 AM

I wonder if the water soluble stabilizer would be an option.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 AM
QM
Power Poster

If you want to do this, plan on doing a lot of pressing and some trimming as you go along. I have done this, because I am hard headed, but I genuinely think it takes more effort. the advantage of the foundation is that it holds the shape. One of my guild sisters suggested using old phone book pages. They practically fall off
Old 04-21-2013, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

There are many great patterns for quilts made from strips.(jellyrolls, honeybuns) You just need to cut and sew accurate strips together to form stratas and then cut them into blocks, triangles etc. The MSQC has some done by Jenny Doan. Check out Strip Twist by Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.com for free pattern tutorials.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
There are many great patterns for quilts made from strips.(jellyrolls, honeybuns) You just need to cut and sew accurate strips together to form stratas and then cut them into blocks, triangles etc. The MSQC has some done by Jenny Doan. Check out Strip Twist by Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.com for free pattern tutorials.
This works well I use it.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 AM

I don't foundation piece on string quilts. BUT my strings are all uniform and no less than 1-1/2" wide. I think if the strips aren't straight and/or smaller, then it will be more difficult.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:42 AM

My mom has made several string quilts with no foundation. And probably not much pressing either LOL . (She's not as lazy as I am but a big believer in fingers as irons.)
Old 04-21-2013, 05:33 AM

Hi from Germany! I have done quite a lot of string quilts and it never even occurred to me to use a paper foundation. If I needed a long piece of string "fabric" I did that by piecing a larger that needed piece of string-fabric and then cutting out what I needed. If I needed really long strips I did that in increments that I then sewed together. That way I could use very irregular strips too - I just didn't handle the pieces too often so any bias wouldn't stretch. Never had a problem that way!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:07 AM

I have done string quilts using the QAYG method. I like the lasagna quilt. I am a beginner quilter, and have had lots of success doing this.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 AM

I make a lot of string blocks without foundation. press and starch well before squaring up.