Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String quilts without foundation piecing? >

String quilts without foundation piecing?

String quilts without foundation piecing?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:39 AM

I love string quilts too
Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 PM

I love making string quilts. Sometimes I use foundations, sometimes I don't. It does add a little bulk. When I string piece without foundation the first thing I do is- if the strip is WOF (width of fabric) I remove the selvege ends and cut it in half. The strips are much more managable if 21" or less in length. The next thing is that I sew then press it from the back, using starch at least once. Usually I starch from the back then again from the front. Makes the cutting more accurate and when its done it slides thru the machine much easier when quilting it. Then when the quilt is done I wash and dry it, to remove the starch and soften it up. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM

It can be done. My mother used to do string piecing without a foundation. It's easy to get distortion in the pieces, and, if you're not careful, you can wind up with some unwanted fullness in the finished quilt here and there. I generally use the roll ends of clean newsprint paper that I buy from our local paper for almost nothing. The paper tears off so easily that it isn't that big a deal.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:31 PM

I love scrap string piecing and with used dryer sheets it is easy to fmq on my home machine. Like its not even there and the quilt lays very flat. Also recycles a throw-away!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:52 PM

I really like string quilts and am getting ready to make another one. I do like the foundation pieced quilts though. If using paper sew with a small stitch, and use a semi-pointed object to "trace" the sewing lines. The paper is then easy to pull off.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:03 PM

When I learned how to make a string quilt, we used a very lightweight type of poly stuff, gosh, I wish I could remember what it's called. I do know it is similar to what I used to put in my collars and pockets when I used to make clothes. It is so light, we just sewed our strings on it and they turned out great, no removal of the stuff and no bulk.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:37 PM

Thank you everyone! I still will no sew thru paper- hate the sound, feel, and ripping out. I am willing to try lightweight interfacing as long as it doesn't interfere with dense quilting. I am going to try not using anything along with your hints and see how it goes. I just love scraps and strips.
Linda
Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Z

Take a look at Ditter's string quilt. I have had good luck with her tutorial.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...lt-t60764.html
Old 04-22-2013, 03:53 AM

I just start sewing pieces together and then square them up when it's the right size. Then, what is cut off I begin to sew to once again. I do this when I'm not sure what I want to work on but need to sit at my sewing machine.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM

You can use lightweight fabric for backing and just leave it on, or the lightweight stabilizer meant for garment sewing, the cheap stuff (not iron on) and just leave it on.