Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   String quilts without foundation piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/string-quilts-without-foundation-piecing-t219627.html)

lswan 04-21-2013 04:16 AM

String quilts without foundation piecing?

I just love string quilts. I love scraps. However, I do not like paper piecing- sewing through paper, ripping it out, ugh. I don't like piecing on top of other fabric because it makes the quilt bulky when I FMQ on my sewing machine. Does anybody have any successes with making strings without a foundation? I understand the benefits of using foundation piecing, but I would never complete a project with this method. Thanks.
Linda

katier825 04-21-2013 04:22 AM

I wonder if the water soluble stabilizer would be an option.

QM 04-21-2013 04:24 AM

If you want to do this, plan on doing a lot of pressing and some trimming as you go along. I have done this, because I am hard headed, but I genuinely think it takes more effort. the advantage of the foundation is that it holds the shape. One of my guild sisters suggested using old phone book pages. They practically fall off

Tartan 04-21-2013 04:24 AM

There are many great patterns for quilts made from strips.(jellyrolls, honeybuns) You just need to cut and sew accurate strips together to form stratas and then cut them into blocks, triangles etc. The MSQC has some done by Jenny Doan. Check out Strip Twist by Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.com for free pattern tutorials.

valleyquiltermo 04-21-2013 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6016054)
There are many great patterns for quilts made from strips.(jellyrolls, honeybuns) You just need to cut and sew accurate strips together to form stratas and then cut them into blocks, triangles etc. The MSQC has some done by Jenny Doan. Check out Strip Twist by Bonnie Hunter at www.quiltville.com for free pattern tutorials.

This works well I use it.

Belfrybat 04-21-2013 04:34 AM

I don't foundation piece on string quilts. BUT my strings are all uniform and no less than 1-1/2" wide. I think if the strips aren't straight and/or smaller, then it will be more difficult.

toolazy 04-21-2013 04:42 AM

My mom has made several string quilts with no foundation. And probably not much pressing either LOL . (She's not as lazy as I am but a big believer in fingers as irons.)

Tirolgirl 04-21-2013 05:33 AM

Hi from Germany! I have done quite a lot of string quilts and it never even occurred to me to use a paper foundation. If I needed a long piece of string "fabric" I did that by piecing a larger that needed piece of string-fabric and then cutting out what I needed. If I needed really long strips I did that in increments that I then sewed together. That way I could use very irregular strips too - I just didn't handle the pieces too often so any bias wouldn't stretch. Never had a problem that way!

mmb195152 04-21-2013 06:07 AM

I have done string quilts using the QAYG method. I like the lasagna quilt. I am a beginner quilter, and have had lots of success doing this.

ontheriver 04-21-2013 07:43 AM

I make a lot of string blocks without foundation. press and starch well before squaring up.