Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for jeans pockets? >

Ideas for jeans pockets?

Ideas for jeans pockets?

Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 AM

Default Ideas for jeans pockets?

I am finally cutting the huge box of jeans I have collected over the years for rag quilts. I have dozens of pockets, some with fabric left around them and some plain ripped off pockets. Any ideas of how to use them?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I just went to google images and put in "recycle jeans pockets". WOW, they have tons of stuff. I was curious because I also have a few hanging around here. Looks like many folks use them for small purses.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:47 AM
Banned

I used a bunch of them, along with a few zippers and even waistbands in a crazy quilt. I mixed in some colorful bits of silk, lace, wool, and anything that looked good. I stitched the pieces to muslin as a base, leaving raw edges exposed. Added backing in a red handkerchief print, and tied it. No batting.

I also made a pillow out of the top of a pair of jeans, cutting straight across to remove the legs, sewing that shut, sewing across the waistband, buttoned up, then stuffing through the zipper before closing it. Real handy way to keep track of those remotes and such, in the pockets.

Last edited by popover; 02-01-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:04 AM

I saw an idea to make a hanging storage unit. The pockets were sewn om to a background to make places to store things. The pockets could store sewing supplies!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

I have used pockets to patch jeans, worked well. I have also put the pocket with surrounding fabric on the back of a hot pad so I can slip my handy in the pockets to use the hot pad.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Pintrest has lots and lots of ideas, many of them free or easy to figure out, but if you are more of a pattern person Nancy's Notions has a DVD you can buy

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...e+jeans+dvd.do
Old 02-01-2017, 11:38 AM

I have a large hotpad with the pocket on the back, like Tartan mentioned.

I had a jean quilt and some of the squares still had the pockets on them, it was very heavy!

I was given a homemade pie mix in a bag made from the leg of a pair of jeans. The bag my mom got included the pocket, so she added a pretty strap and uses it for one of her knitting projects.

I've seen purses, some using the whole top part of the jeans, front and back, and some just using the pockets. The ones just using the pockets are just the right size for just carrying a wallet and cell phone.

I've also seen a little pouch for carrying your hand quilting tools (thimble, needles, Aunt Becky, tiny scissors), that can be worn around the neck.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Pinterest will give you Tons of ideas for jeans pockets. It's amazing what people come up with. I used them for a pretty cool big rug for a granddaughter after my daughter saw one at Art Van furniture store she thought was wonderful.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:58 AM

I make pocket purses. I take all the thread out, using the side seem from the jeans for a strap. I also put a piece of the denim on the back of pocket and fringe out the back piece after I sew the front and the back together. Sometime I put cute buttons on the front. I would like to sew Bueniebabe name on the front with my sewing machine. I make these for the church picnic. The little town I live in has the nickname Buenie. I have made over 100 and never took 1 picture. When I make jean quilts I also take the thread out of the pockets and sew them on with colored thread, bright colors. One jean quilt I put hot pink flannel on the back, using hot pink thread on the pockets. I was afraid it wouldn't sell but people bid like crazy on it.

Last edited by Bueniebabe; 02-02-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 AM

Lightbulb Idea for using Jean Pockets

Our guild takes tiny stuffed animals and places them with a simple quilt or in this case I used a jean pocket.
They are then given to children in stressful situations from a policeman, fireman or social worker to comfort the child.
I have also made them for new big brothers or sisters when going to a baby shower.
Attached Thumbnails small-animal-quilt-bear.jpg