Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing through ends >

Sewing through ends

Sewing through ends

Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Sewing through ends

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me please how to tie the ends off when working with a different colour front cotton to the bobbin cotton. Normally if I use the same colour thread I pull through to the back, tie it off, and sew between the layers, I am not sure how to do it without one or the other colours showing,.

Idle Di
Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 PM

After pulling both threads thru to the same side (top or bottom), i knot the threads about a1/4 inch away from the fabric, then using a quick thread needle, insert the needle in the same hole as the thread color you are not wanting to show, and bury the threads in between the layers.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:04 PM

Oh thank you ever so much, but what is a quick thread needle

Idle Di
Old 03-31-2017, 02:57 PM

The quick thread needle is one that has a small opening along the top or the side of the needle eye so you can thread it more easily vs putting the thread through the eye.
I personally like the ones that have the opening on the side. If this link works,

http://senchneedles.com/

If the link doesn't work, search under "Sench Needles".
Old 03-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Oh thank you, I hope my local store Spotlight has them, I have been trying to thread it through the eye of the needle, and all I have done is scream.

Idle Di
Old 03-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

There are much cheaper versions available as well. This is one type - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Se...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 04-01-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Idle Di View Post
Oh thank you, I hope my local store Spotlight has them, I have been trying to thread it through the eye of the needle, and all I have done is scream.

Idle Di
I have the top threading needles. They are soooo handy for burying threads. I put the needle in at the base of the thread I want to bury and lead it into the batt for an inch or so and back out again. Then the thread goes in at the top. Sometimes I have to brace the tip of the needle against something hard, as the thread has to snap into that top. Then just pull the needle through and the thread goes with it. If there is thread left now, cut it off at the surface of the quilt. I can bury a thread that is half an inch long with this needle.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:58 AM

I first heard these referred to as "cheater needles"! One additional piece of advice: beware the cheap ones. There are sometimes burrs in the eye that cause the thread to break. Then you end up with a piece too small to knot and bury.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 AM

WOW! I never heard of such a thing. How the heck great is that?!! I needed it just last night - my friend and I call it "the thread game" when we have one last stitch to take, even in cross stitch, and only a small portion of thread left. I am getting us some of these right away!! Thank you for sharing! ~smile~
Old 04-01-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the advice regarding cheap needles! I was about to go out and buy all new thread - a $5.00 needle is so much cheaper!