Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Best paper for sewing through? What rips off easiest?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm using tracing paper. sandpat has mentioned Vellum. The tracing paper is working okay--but it's stronger than it needs to be and can loosen stitches, so I'd like something even thinner and easier to tear. Suggestions?

Good question - I sure hope someone who knows answers soon.

I have used the Carol Doak paper and it tears very easily. I loved it.

http://www.caroldoak.com/store.php

Scroll down to Other Products.

I just bought some tracing paper on sale from http://www.utrechtart.com/ it is really thin. I am hoping it is going to work. I am afraid it may be even too thin to go through my printer. This is a great Art and Drafting supply company. I buy all of my regular rulers from them.

Blog Entries
    I've used every type of paper, even pages from an old Bible. I like vellum the best. Newsprint tears super easy but is easily ripped before I finish sewing. I only use paper I can print my pattern on, I don't like tracing the pattern.

Bella Boo, what is it about tracing paper you don't like? Is is because you can't put it through the printer? I am going to try.
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I've used every type of paper, even pages from an old Bible. I like vellum the best. Newsprint tears super easy but is easily ripped before I finish sewing. I only use paper I can print my pattern on, I don't like tracing the pattern.

Blog Entries
    Tracing paper is hard to find in my area and expensive. If I have to order online I may as well get the type I like which is vellum.

Blog Entries
    Golden Threads makes quilting paper on a roll, and I used it for the first time last week. I loved it!!! It holds up well for tracing, for the quilting, and then rips off easily. It's yellow, so it's easy to see on most fabrics. I haven't looked around for anything else yet, so price-wise I don't know how it compared.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Bella Boo, what is it about tracing paper you don't like? Is is because you can't put it through the printer? I am going to try.
    I have put tracing paper through a HP home printer, and it worked fine as long as I put one piece through at a time. I did it for a PP project.

Thanks, I will try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    I have put tracing paper through a HP home printer, and it worked fine as long as I put one piece through at a time. I did it for a PP project.

I've used typing paper. Much thinner than regular paper and tore well when I was done. I just make sure I fold the paper at the stitch line, then rip it off.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I ordered some paper from Golden Threads and the Quilting Designs book and CD from Electronic Quilting--Vol 1.

try using newspaper.

Thin (cheap) copy/typing paper is what I use. I think that the secret is to use small stitches. It makes paper removal much muchly easier, regardless of paper used.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the tiny stitches must be the answer. I did the February BOM as my first real PP project. I planned to hate doing it, so I didn't buy special paper. I used whatever the kids have in the printer. I'd read many posts that said use tiny stitches. The first line I stitched with stitches so tiny the paper just fell off. After that I lengthened them a bit, but the paper was very easy to remove.

Blog Entries
    Head to the grocery store and get a roll of parchment paper! (for baking) That's what I'm using, it tears easily and is pretty easy to see thru! It's also WAY cheaper than vellum!

Blog Entries
    I use just regular copy paper and shorten up my stitches :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    I ordered some paper from Golden Threads and the Quilting Designs book and CD from Electronic Quilting--Vol 1.

You'll love the CDs from Electronic Quilting! I have a couple of them and will probably get a few more. They are easy to use and I like that the motif size can be adjusted to fit any size block. I'll have to look into the paper from Golden Threads.

I've used waxed paper and was pleased with the result. Maybe someone can tell me if that's good or bad.

Blog Entries
    I don't like tracing patterns by hand on to paper so the paper has to go in the printer for me. Any paper that that you can sew through and you like is fine for paper piecing. It's all a matter of choice and budget. Foundation piecing is not paper piecing, two different things. I use any paper for foundation piecing, old phone books to gift tissue paper to used dryer sheets.

I'm an avid paperpiecer & have tried many different papers & find Carol Doaks to be the best - prints great, easy to see thru to line up the fabric, folds easily right on the line, & tears easy too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I follow Brenda Henning (Mariner's Compass) advice and just use regular copy paper. But I set my stitch length at 1.5. I haven't had any problems, even with the miniature that I did for the Sept. DQ swap. I think it's the stitch length that makes the difference. Also, using Brenda's method, you don't cross intersections more than once, you stop and start directly on a line. That prevents those *#*%@ Y-seams that are a witch to get out.

I'm a fan of the velum...it's the way to go in my book. You can see right thru it, it holds as long as you need it, you can re-sew if you make a mistake, and it comes out quite easily.

I use a roll from the doctor's office. the kind they use on the examining tables.

I've tried using typing/copy paper several times and always go back to super-light interfacing (bought on sale in a big roll). You can draw/trace on it easily and it tears away without problem.

Most of what I make are wall quilts, so I generally don't even bother to take it out when I'm done! At the very least, I leave it in until I've joined the paper-pieced segment to its neighboring plain piece.

Haven't tried running it through the printer yet, but I bet it wouldn't be an issue -- particularly if you ironed it to a piece of freezer paper first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast