Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Friend using Old sheet as backing >

Friend using Old sheet as backing

Friend using Old sheet as backing

Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Default Friend using Old sheet as backing

I have a dear friend who is making two quilts, one for each of her grandsons. The quilts will be a feast for the eyes of young children, no doubt about that!

She is barely making ends meet, so took a bunch of 5.5"squares that I had already cut for a project never gotten to - to make the quilts. Not a problem for me, because there is no way that I will Ever be able to use all my fabric during my lifetime, so she is helping me use it up. I know the quilts will be loved and treasured by her grandsons, as well.

Here's the thing. She bought an Old, thin "Alf" sheet for a $ to back one of them. It's probably poly/cotton, but even so it is very worn. She specifically bought it because her son, the grandkids Dad, loved and still loves Alf.

I have no problem whatsoever with her choice of "Alf" on the back. My fear is that the backing will break down quickly after the quilt is quilted and put into use. Worse yet, the fabric might not make it through the quilting. I won't say anything about it to her because she is so thrilled to have found it and get it. I don't want to break her heart!

Has anyone used an "aged" sheet on a quilt before? How long did it hold up? As I said, I will not say anything to her about it; she is so happy with the choice! Are there any special care instructions that I should give her about it?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 08-27-2017, 08:07 PM

You, or she, might be able to find an Alf sheet, or fabric, on line. I know it's been a long time since Alf was "with us," but it's worth a shot. If she truly cannot afford it, and you could find it, perhaps you could find/purchase/gift it to her? I guess my gut feeling is that if something happened to the quilt because of the *old* sheet, and I could have helped her by finding an alternative and didn't, I would feel really guilty. Thanks for helping your friend and generously giving her the fabric she needed.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Power Poster

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to use a thin interfacing on the backing sheet before layering. I would have to look to be sure, but I think Pellon 99F is a good lightweight interfacing and not too expensive. Walmart probably carries it. Or use Misty Fuse to fuse a new sheet to the back of the Alf sheet. Both options require a little more money and an investment of time and effort, so it would depend on whether you would want to do it for her.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:26 AM
Power Poster

If you are not doing the quilting, let it go. Yes it will wear out quicker but a new back can be put in later if it does. You might mention that you don't know how much life the old sheet has left in it and bring another sheet for a substitute for her to use or not use at her discretion. She could use the Alf sheet for pillowcases. You should be able to find a clearance sheet at a reasonable price at Walmart and just gift her it.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

That is a touchy situation for sure. How kind of you to give her fabric so she could do something with it that makes her so proud!
Since we are more experienced in quilting it is obvious that it's not a good choice but she doesn't realize that. Could you gently explain that to her? I would hate to see her creation ruined before any/much use.
Tough one.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:04 AM

I have used many sheets as backings, but wouldn't use one that very worn and thin. I don't know how well it would hold up though, maybe you can suggest a sheet in better shape, after all, a lot of work/money goes into making a quilt, it would be a shame for her to finish the quilt, wash it, and it falls apart.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 AM

I bought some old worn sheets at an estate sale. Sadly, they haven't held up. They're ok for wallhangings, but not ok for a quilt that's used. I made a quilt for my husband that's tied with yarn. All the tied places have holes now (after 15 or so years of use). Once a hole starts, it starts ripping out around it.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

That's a tough situation.

Maybe you could suggest that she make coordinating pillow cases from the sheet - then she could get something matching for both boys from the one sheet?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:10 AM

I would be afraid to use an old sheet as backing. I have had older, expensive sheets that tore when I pulled them up to make the bed. Body oils deteriorate the fabric of sheets.

Maybe you could tell her about a forum thread that you recently read that warned against using old sheets as backing. If you can afford it, try to find Alf fabric on-line, or donate more of your stash for her backings. It would be so sad for everyone involved if the quilt fell apart.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you are not doing the quilting, let it go. Yes it will wear out quicker but a new back can be put in later if it does. You might mention that you don't know how much life the old sheet has left in it and bring another sheet for a substitute for her to use or not use at her discretion. She could use the Alf sheet for pillowcases. You should be able to find a clearance sheet at a reasonable price at Walmart and just gift her it.
I love the idea of using the Alf sheet for pillowcases. And perhaps the better portions of them could be cut out for patches on the front or back of the quilt. There are also some vintage Alf sheets for sale on ebay. I would definitely tell her my concerns about using the sheet to back the quilt, but in the end it's her decision.