View Single Post
Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 PM
cathyvv

Default Friend using Old sheet as backing

I have a dear friend who is making two quilts, one for each of her grandsons. The quilts will be a feast for the eyes of young children, no doubt about that!

She is barely making ends meet, so took a bunch of 5.5"squares that I had already cut for a project never gotten to - to make the quilts. Not a problem for me, because there is no way that I will Ever be able to use all my fabric during my lifetime, so she is helping me use it up. I know the quilts will be loved and treasured by her grandsons, as well.

Here's the thing. She bought an Old, thin "Alf" sheet for a $ to back one of them. It's probably poly/cotton, but even so it is very worn. She specifically bought it because her son, the grandkids Dad, loved and still loves Alf.

I have no problem whatsoever with her choice of "Alf" on the back. My fear is that the backing will break down quickly after the quilt is quilted and put into use. Worse yet, the fabric might not make it through the quilting. I won't say anything about it to her because she is so thrilled to have found it and get it. I don't want to break her heart!

Has anyone used an "aged" sheet on a quilt before? How long did it hold up? As I said, I will not say anything to her about it; she is so happy with the choice! Are there any special care instructions that I should give her about it?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2017 at 03:13 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS