Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help Sandwiching a Quilt >

Need help Sandwiching a Quilt

Need help Sandwiching a Quilt

Old 10-23-2017, 10:28 AM

Default Need help Sandwiching a Quilt

I am only doing wall hangings and one quilt 48 x 60 with a LQS flannel backing. Because of limited space, I have to spray 505 outside and sandwich on my cutting board. I just can't get a smooth, taut sandwich. Because the WHs are too small and the quilt too big, I have to use a combination of clamps and blue tape. I hand smooth and smooth, but the backing is rippled and the top isn't very smooth either but a little better. Any suggestions, please, finding a bigger table is not an option. I so need help. TIA
Old 10-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Have you tried basting using boards or pool noodles? Here's a tutorial using pool noodles, but you can use the same principle with boards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIdv6iwLeQ
Old 10-23-2017, 11:04 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber's method with boards. I don't baste, just pin. I think you could use the spray, too, but I don't want to deal with that. I use blue tape to secure the quilt to the board so it wraps evenly. My white primed boards are 8 ft, but you could have the home store cut them if you never want to do a wide quilt.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...46&action=view
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM

I use the floor LOL ... And I've done it with queen sized quilts. I tape the backing to the floor, put the batting on it, then the top. Get it all nice and flat and then I spray baste it. Let it dry (I give it about 10 minutes, and then I flip it over, and can spray the backing to the batting and not have to worry about the front.

A bit hard on the knees, but it does work! You could always use knee pads!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:13 PM

If you could find a bigger table, would you sufficiently be mobile to use it? There are some easy places to look. Some people here even sandwich against a wall at a campground using the spray. Not tried that, myself.

hugs,
charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 10-23-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I sandwich my quilts on dining table. It has a glass on top of it and I use regular safety pins. If quilt is larger than table I do the center, rearrange and continue until all is sandwiched.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
Have you tried basting using boards or pool noodles? Here's a tutorial using pool noodles, but you can use the same principle with boards.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XCIdv6iwLeQ
Oh My ...This looks like a great idea..Thank you for posting it.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:18 AM

I use the Sharon Schamber's board method on top of a large piece of cardboard that I lie on top of my dining room table fully extended. Then I use the (thinned out) elmers school glue drizzle (so I don't have to deal with overspray). Don't forget there are many variations to the QAYG method to avoid dealing with this issue at all.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:58 AM

Before I had a dedicated work area (HURRAY!), I had to make do with whatever space I could find. I purchased a piece of cheap wall paneling and had the hardware store cut it at 6 feet (making it 6' x 4'). I slid it under my bed for storage and would put it on the bed with my folding cutting mat on top of it for laying out fabric. This provided a stiff barrier for my scissors so I stopped cutting bedspreads! I also purchased 2 yards of very thin vinyl ($2.99 a yard at Joanns) to lay on the bed for protection when spray basting. I used this for quilt sandwiching but also for apparel sewing all the years of my kids growing up. I got this idea from a friend who had a similar idea but she covered the backside with a big poster of blossoming cherry trees and had it sit against the wall when not in use.