Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, "Glitter Fabric" >

Help, "Glitter Fabric"

Help, "Glitter Fabric"

Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM

Question Help, "Glitter Fabric"

I found a beautiful fabric to make a Christmas quilt & it has "glitter" on it. I'm guessing in the making of the fabric this is sprayed onto the fabric. I was wondering about pouring white vinegar in the wash to loosen the glue. Right now my house really sparkles. Any suggestions of how to wash the "glitter" off. Thank for your help.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 PM

From personal experience.... go to the laudromat, DON'T use your own washing machine.

I had some GORGEOUS fabric... with glitter.
ALL of our clothes had sparkles in them for quite some time thereafter... do you know how cranky a man can get when his jockey's sparkle?!? LOL!!

Seriously, I am NOT kidding... even if you only wash the quilt or fabric ONCE in your washer, it's like the flakes hide in the depths of the washing machine and appear in every load for WEEKS.

Trust me. I honestly know about this.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
From personal experience.... go to the laudromat, DON'T use your own washing machine.

ALL of our clothes had sparkles in them for quite some time thereafter... do you know how cranky a man can get when his jockey's sparkle?!? LOL!!

Seriously, I am NOT kidding... even if you only wash the quilt or fabric ONCE in your washer, it's like the flakes hide in the depths of the washing machine and appear in every load for WEEKS.

I had bought some shirts/tops from WalMart that had glitter on them. I also had glitter all over "everything" for weeks.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

I bought girly fabric with glitter. When I washed and folded it. I did not see glitter again. I also bought some other fabrics , seems it is woven into the fabric. I plan to use it to make quilts for kids. I guess others had more glitter than mine.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by TnBecky View Post
Any suggestions of how to wash the "glitter" off.
What manufacturer and line is it? If it's Fairy Frost, it's gonna take a long, long, long time to wash off.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 PM

The fabric is from Joann's, it's Keepsake Calico.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post

I love your post because I have used fabric like this in the past & my husband had the same problem. Thanks for making me laugh & knowing that I am not the only one that learned this the hard way.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:53 PM
Administrator

if you take it to a laundromat wouldn't you be "infecting" the clothes of innocent strangers with the glitter you know you don't want yourself?
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
if you take it to a laundromat wouldn't you be "infecting" the clothes of innocent strangers with the glitter you know you don't want yourself?
Imagine that I just hit the "Like" button. I've been thinking this also as I read the posts.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:41 AM

I read somewhere that acetone would dissolve the glue that held the glitter on, but you'd probably want to test it on a small spot first to see if it also took out any dye.

Also wanted to note that glitter is considered a microparticle that our water treatment systems aren't equipped to filter out, and it is one of the tiny particles that is poisoning our oceans. Definitely not a judgment on you or your purchase, but was merely something I hadn't considered until recently.