Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves? >

Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Quilts magazines disappearing off shelves?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:52 AM

I haven't notice the trend. But I don't shop Walmart or local stores for magazines. I usually by magazines through the mail. Where I shop PX military, has a large selection of magazines. I have backed down to 2 magazines. I've noticed the same pattern but in different fabric over the years. Plus many of the patterns now need to have a special ruler. So when the order is done, I will not buy anymore. I have a book shelf full of old magazines. Which I love to go through.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Just like happylab, I haven't noticed any trend but when I want to be inspired by or read a quilting magazine I go to my local Barnes & Noble. My go to magazine used to be Quiltmaker ...... no more ...... lets just say I had a rather bad experience with their customer service. Now the only magazine I buy is Quiltmania. Love that magazine.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
I find there is a smaller selection of all types of magazines. I rarely purchase one anymore because there is so much information available on-line for free.
I'm the same. The last time I bought quilting magazines it was a garage sale and I paid 10 cents each for them.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:36 PM

I have noticed that too. I haven't bought a magazine for a while, but MSQC Block is the only magazine I would want to subscribe to. I like the old 90's magazines if I can find them in a thrift store because the patterns are more original and less ads than nowadays.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:41 PM

I have noticed the scarcity also. I usually always bought the Primitive Quilt magazine, and it's harder to find now. While I realize many utilize online shopping, I rarely do that. I still enjoy brick and mortar shopping, and the touch, feels, and smells it affords me.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Yes, I too have noticed the lessening of selection at the stops I make. but, I can understand why - from my perspective, anyway. Way too much advertising in them, price has gone way up! Offerings in them are just rehashed, some with absolutely ugly ( imho)fabric choices--seems they are pushing fabric brands more than quilt designs. Then they seal the mag in a plastic bag, so you cannot browse inside to see what's in it! I have noticed an upswing in other crafty things and a decline in quilting things, but that's just in my area maybe......
If it's wrapped in plastic, I won't buy it. I subscribed to Quiltmaker for 15 years, but just recently let my subscription lapse. For the last 2 years, there hasn't been *anything* in the magazine that I wanted to make. I agree with you about the rehashed patterns and the ugly fabrics.

Last edited by IceLeopard; 01-26-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:37 PM

I also don't like the 'mag in a bag'. If there are fewer than 2 things in the magazine that catch my attention, I won't buy it. Unfortunately, we cannot get subscriptions for Block in Canada and they are difficult to find. Last autumn, I could not find the Quilt Sampler magazine anywhere local--or so I thought--Walmart used to carry it but no more. I even asked my DD to check for it in the 'big city'. We have moved and I really don't know our new area very well, but had to pick up a script for DH at the local pharmacy, and oh my goodness!!! at least 5 different quilty type magazines plus my beloved Quilt Sampler. I now know where to go to get my fix!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:06 PM

I agree! Hobby Lobby quit carrying magazines at least a year ago. I still subscribe to Primitive Quilting and Fons and Porter but let my subscriptions to McCalls and Better Homes and Gardens quilt magazines lapse. I used to love it when a new magazine arrived but lately I have been disappointed. MyCalls seemed to have a new editor every few months and my favorites were no longer there. I think there has been a bit of merging but am not positive about that. Fons and Porter always has some great tips which I love. Primitive Quilting is beautiful and for me, it never disappoints. I also get Block and like it..most of those quilts are easy and great for quick gifts.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:28 AM

I get no more magazines as there is way too much advertising and not enough real reading and articles. With all the online stuff, I'm sure magazines are struggling.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 AM

Do you suppose quilting will somewhat go the way of macrame, counted cross-stitch and candlewicking? Not that it will disappear but most of the arts/crafts seem to go through a popularity and then fade away. Quilts have a utility function where these others do not but still...... With quilting's popularity some of us jumped right in and now have "adequate" stashes and have collected books/magazines that there is little to attract collecting more. So many patterns are available online or can be reconstructed with graph paper or technology. Our society is not required to get out of the house to do much any more as it is available online and can see it there or have it shipped to our door. If the magazines aren't in the stores, they probably weren't selling many.