Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Walmart Taking Fabric Off The Shelves for Tula Pink

Mark Lipinski interviewed Tula Pink on his brand new radio show: http://toginet.com/shows/creativemojo The show was broadcast live at 3 pm EST today.

Tula said Walmart received so many complaints they have agreed to pull the stolen fabric designs from their shelves. Lawyers are working on further information regarding the copyright infringement. http://tulapink.com/2010/09/19/outraged/

The other thread http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-65712-1.htm was locked and I had washed my hands of the whole discussion, but I thought some of you might be happy to see the fabric designer vindicated. Nice to see crafters and quilters show their support and get Walmart to do the right thing.

I saw Mark Lipinski was having that interview but was in a class. Are the interviews saved to be able to be downloaded, do you know??

SWEETNESS!!!

Blog Entries
    I still question the validity of all of this... Time will tell.

Blog Entries
    the other thread got a bit too hysterical and hyperbolic. had to use an extinguisher on all the flatulent flames. ;-)

happy to hear the good news. thanks very much for letting us know. :-) :thumbup:

I'm so glad this has been resolved!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    the other thread got a bit too hysterical and hyperbolic. had to use an extinguisher on all the flatulent flames. ;-)

happy to hear the good news. thanks very much for letting us know. :-) :thumbup:
    I don't blame you one bit for locking that thread Patrice. It's amazing how a little information and education goes such a long way. Enlightening every time!

I can understand the outrage the designer feels, however... I am not to thrilled with her way of expressing it. As much as Walmart is a big capitalistic corporation, to blame them for it all, emmmm not so thrilled with that. It could easily be a lot of different reasons.

Blog Entries
    I went to Walmart this morning. I found this fabric on the $5 a bolt table. I label on the bolt says:

Road Show Fashion Fabric $5 Per Bolt Various Blends Cotton
    Polyester Rayon Nylon

Lots of numbers showing style#

The fabric is not one any quilter would buy, it's not cotton at all but a thin poly/rayon looking stuff.

Looks like it wasn't pulled from all stores then.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Road Show Fashion Fabric
    off topic.

also ... it isn't meant for quilters. it's for garments.

many wallyfab customers are there for garment fabs.

just because many might not want it for quilts doesn't mean they shouldn't sell it. it also doesn't mean somebody who wants to can't use it in a quilt.

[/quote] many wallyfab customers are there for garment fabs.

just because many might not want it for quilts doesn't mean they shouldn't sell it. it also doesn't mean somebody who wants to can't use it in a quilt.[/quote]

And back in the day...left over garment fabric was what was used for quilts...

The designer just got the word around 2:30 pm EST today that Wally World would pull the fabric from the shelves. It's going to take some time to get the word out to nearly 6,000 stores. I'm sure that list is smaller, since only a few carry fabric now, but still. Let's give them a chance to make things right. You know they will.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad that WM is responding so quickly to this matter.
    Shows what a bunch of united quilters can make happen!

I went to my local Walmart and checked every bolt and nothing resembling Tula Pink. Though I don't know if all the stores had the same fabric or if it only showed up in a few.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    I can understand the outrage the designer feels, however... I am not to thrilled with her way of expressing it. As much as Walmart is a big capitalistic corporation, to blame them for it all, emmmm not so thrilled with that. It could easily be a lot of different reasons.
    I agree with you if you are referring to some of the people who commented to Tula Pink's blog post. I read her blog post from the day she posted it and nowhere in her original blog entry, or her follow up update to address all the comments, did I ever get the sense that she was blaming Walmart or outraged *at Walmart*. She was outraged at the situation and the fact that fabric copyright infringement occurred. When I read her blog post, I recognized right away that fabric (like any other product they sell) can arrive at a discount retail store like Walmart from many paths and she was not calling out Walmart as the wrongdoer.