Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed oiling mechanical Janomi >

Help needed oiling mechanical Janomi

Help needed oiling mechanical Janomi

Old 04-13-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Help needed oiling mechanical Janomi

I am getting my two travel machines cleaned and ready to go on a week long quilt retreat. I read somewhere that I should be putting a tiny drop of oil on the bobbin race. Is this necessary if I clean them regularly and have never had the Janomi or little Brother serviced. I have had both of them for several years and they work beautifully. I don't know where to oil the race so haven't tried it. Thank you for any advice you can give me. grammasharon

Janomi number I could find is MS5027LE and Brother CS6000i
Old 04-13-2018, 07:17 AM
anonymous

The last pic shows where to oil on the janome. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/92...age=107#manual

Old 04-13-2018, 08:25 AM

I've always cleaned and oiled my machines every time I change the bobbins and have very few machines problems. I do take my computerized machine in for servicing every year or so. I really believe in doing this. Both of my Berninas have given me great service for years with no problems on this schedule. When the Artista was my only machine, I took it in every year. Now that I have several machines that I use, I stretch it to every 18 months because it isn't sewn on nearly as much. Just like changing the oil in your car and having it serviced, having your machine serviced every year will extend it's useful life and you'll have many fewer problems. They are machines. They need to cared for properly in order to keep running.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
I am getting my two travel machines cleaned and ready to go on a week long quilt retreat. I read somewhere that I should be putting a tiny drop of oil on the bobbin race. Is this necessary if I clean them regularly and have never had the Janomi or little Brother serviced. I have had both of them for several years and they work beautifully. I don't know where to oil the race so haven't tried it. Thank you for any advice you can give me. grammasharon

Janomi number I could find is MS5027LE and Brother CS6000i
remove the bobbin ..just a drop on the race ..run machine at moderate speed for a minute or so w/o thread or needle.
it's a simple, fast thing to do. i have nothing but older or vintage mechanicals ...routine maintenance is a good thing and rewarded by many years of faithful service. i.e. -my featherweight was used by my grandmother to make my clothes in fifties, i made my clothes on it in the 60's ..mine & my son's clothing in the 80's, 90's and on ...it's also been piecing quilts for 32 yrs. maintenance is a good thing
Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 PM

It's a good idea to be comfortable with removing the needle plate and cleaning the lint out. I tell my customers to clean drop-ins every 4 or 5 hours of actual sewing time. And oscillators (clean and oil), every 2 or 3 hours of actual sewing time. I can't tell if your Janome is an oscillating hook or a drop in. Oil goes on the race for oscillators, and under the plastic bobbin case for drop-in bobbin machines.

Here's a link with pictures: http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...-feed-dog.html
Old 04-13-2018, 07:19 PM

I oil the bobbin race on all my machines before use and at each bobbin change. You should, too.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Thank you so much for this information. I take them totally apart after sewing for a few hours and when I am going to quit. I clean under the bobbin every time I change a bobbin. Both of these machines are over 5 years old and they sew beautifully. So thankful for all the good advice. I took them apart this morning and oiled them after having cleaned them. So happy for all the wisdom on this board.

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
It's a good idea to be comfortable with removing the needle plate and cleaning the lint out. I tell my customers to clean drop-ins every 4 or 5 hours of actual sewing time. And oscillators (clean and oil), every 2 or 3 hours of actual sewing time. I can't tell if your Janome is an oscillating hook or a drop in. Oil goes on the race for oscillators, and under the plastic bobbin case for drop-in bobbin machines.

Here's a link with pictures: http://shesasewingmachinemechanic.bl...-feed-dog.html
Old 04-14-2018, 11:09 AM

So many wise sewers on this board and always so willing to help those of us who need assistance. Thank you so much I always was a lint cleaner, I am now an oiler!!!