Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using Color Catcher >

using Color Catcher

using Color Catcher

Old 06-21-2018, 05:33 PM

Talking using Color Catcher

Need some advice on using Shout brand color catcher on a doll quilt that is red, white & light blue. I purchased pre-cut "vintage" 100% cotton and have sewn the squares together. It never occurred to me to maybe prewash the squares. Now, I'm afraid to finish the quilt and send it off to my granddaughter. Will using the color catcher, remove all the bleed-able dye? If I prewash it several times with a catcher sheet will it not bleed on future washings without a catcher sheet?? Help !!!!!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-22-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 06-21-2018, 06:22 PM

You could use 2 color catchers-I've done it many times. Use the wash cycle a couple of times taking out the old color catchers and adding 2 new ones; but don't dry in between the washes. You could send along washing instructions , or you could explain it is possible the coloring may change a bit after washing, but that is part of the 'vintage' look. When it is washed and dried, the cotton will shrink a bit and with any stitching you have used, the quilt will not have the 'smooth' pressed look as before the first washing. It will have a soft, warm, vintage-y, used, well-loved look and feel. Perfect for giving. She will love it no matter the outcome.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

I think washing in cold water helps. I always use color catchers, no bleeding for mine.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

when in doubt, i've used up to four of them. cold water too. Not to sure about future washings. tell the new owner to use catchers. they are easy to find in stores and not too much bother to remember to use.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM

Thank you so much! Such good thoughts you shared, soft, warm & well loved! I will send instructions with it.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:17 PM

Thank you! Cold water is a good idea.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 PM

I guess I should've bought a bigger pack of catchers......LOL Thank you for replying.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 AM

The red may bleed even after repeat washing. I agree send along directions that it should always be washed in cold water and with at least 2 color catchers. I use the Shout brand all the time and they work great.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 AM

I have used these Color Catchers many times with good results, with one exception. Once I made Bumblebee costumes out of bright mustard yellow and black fleece for my husband and myself. They were lined and stuffed and looked amazing. I didn't pre-treat the fabric. After we wore them, I removed the polyfil and laundered them using Color Catchers. It ruined the costumes. When I took them out of the washing machine, they were a pale yellow and more of a dull dark brown than a black. I ended up throwing them away, which was a shame as all my materials had costed me about 75 dollars, not to mention the time it took to make them.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:11 AM

I think I would have taken the costumes to the store where you purchased the fleece.....they should have returned your money. I had some Moda red cotton it kept bleeding and bleeding, no matter what I did. I called the local quilt shop and she sent the yardage back to Moda.....the color was never "set", so it would have kept bleeding until white, I guess. They refunded my money and gave me the same yardage in a different color.