Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: using Color Catcher

Talking using Color Catcher

Need some advice on using Shout brand color catcher on a doll quilt that is red, white & light blue. I purchased pre-cut "vintage" 100% cotton and have sewn the squares together. It never occurred to me to maybe prewash the squares. Now, I'm afraid to finish the quilt and send it off to my granddaughter. Will using the color catcher, remove all the bleed-able dye? If I prewash it several times with a catcher sheet will it not bleed on future washings without a catcher sheet?? Help !!!!!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-22-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    You could use 2 color catchers-I've done it many times. Use the wash cycle a couple of times taking out the old color catchers and adding 2 new ones; but don't dry in between the washes. You could send along washing instructions , or you could explain it is possible the coloring may change a bit after washing, but that is part of the 'vintage' look. When it is washed and dried, the cotton will shrink a bit and with any stitching you have used, the quilt will not have the 'smooth' pressed look as before the first washing. It will have a soft, warm, vintage-y, used, well-loved look and feel. Perfect for giving. She will love it no matter the outcome.

I think washing in cold water helps. I always use color catchers, no bleeding for mine.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    when in doubt, i've used up to four of them. cold water too. Not to sure about future washings. tell the new owner to use catchers. they are easy to find in stores and not too much bother to remember to use.

Thank you so much! Such good thoughts you shared, soft, warm & well loved! I will send instructions with it.

Thank you! Cold water is a good idea.

I guess I should've bought a bigger pack of catchers......LOL Thank you for replying.

The red may bleed even after repeat washing. I agree send along directions that it should always be washed in cold water and with at least 2 color catchers. I use the Shout brand all the time and they work great.

I have used these Color Catchers many times with good results, with one exception. Once I made Bumblebee costumes out of bright mustard yellow and black fleece for my husband and myself. They were lined and stuffed and looked amazing. I didn't pre-treat the fabric. After we wore them, I removed the polyfil and laundered them using Color Catchers. It ruined the costumes. When I took them out of the washing machine, they were a pale yellow and more of a dull dark brown than a black. I ended up throwing them away, which was a shame as all my materials had costed me about 75 dollars, not to mention the time it took to make them.

I think I would have taken the costumes to the store where you purchased the fleece.....they should have returned your money. I had some Moda red cotton it kept bleeding and bleeding, no matter what I did. I called the local quilt shop and she sent the yardage back to Moda.....the color was never "set", so it would have kept bleeding until white, I guess. They refunded my money and gave me the same yardage in a different color.

I use Color Catchers all the time. I usually put in 3-4 of them. I also give printed washing instructions attached to a box of Color Catchers when I gift a quilt.
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Blog Entries
    Once the color catchers come out clear you should be safe and have no more bleeding. I use them all the time with great success. When color catches first came out they were cloth and could be used many times over and were always successful.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I've had good luck using color catchers. Usually two at a time the first time around, and when I give one away I tell the recipient to use one, too, until it "stops catching" color.

"Making a Quilt and not showing it is like writing a song and not singing it..."

I love color catchers! I usually use three to four the first wash. If I am keeping it I will throw in two each time I wash, if I am gifting it I will include a baggie with five or six and instructions.
    Kindness matters

Jackie

Recently in a quilt class we were discussing prewashing fabrics to prevent bleeding and several of us said we use color catchers for our quilts and washing more than once and with more than one color catcher in cold water. We all thought we were doing good and then the instructor mentioned that not everyone's water is the same chemical makeup as ours and it would still be possible for no bleeding to show during our wash but could bleed when washed by the recipient. What a horrible thought that the quilt could be ruined after we thought it was good. I will now test yardage for bleeding and use Retayne if needed. I will be crossing my fingers on any of my precuts I have in my stash.

Blog Entries
    My mom taught me to set the colors in cold vinegar water.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For large quilts I toss in 4 or 5 sheets and use cold water. I have not had a problem (knock on wood).

Blog Entries
    I wash my quilts in cold water using 2 color catchers. Have never had bleeding occur.

Quote Originally Posted by thrums View Post
    My mom taught me to set the colors in cold vinegar water.
    This does not work with today's modern dyes.

Retayne is used to set the dye before the quilt is assembled; Synthropol can be used after the quilt is finished to prevent bleeding. I've also used Synthrpol to successfully remove a scortched spot on a block before it was assembled (washed by hand). Can't imagine that Color Catchers would help also -- although they can sometimes be hard to find.

Linda in MO

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    This does not work with today's modern dyes.
    Right you are! Adding salt with the vinegar doesn't help, either.
    I'm a believer in Color Catchers or the Carbona brand (WalMart) that does the same thing.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Bleeding dyes happen for every color in the rainbow. I ALWAYS test the fabric I'm planning on using, by cutting a narrow strip (about 1/2" wide by 6" long) and placing it in a glass of hottest tap water available. If the water shows, for instance, a pink or reddish tone from a red fabric, I know I need to treat the fabric. I began using Ritz Laundry Treatment Dye Setter to set the red borders on a white whole cloth quilt (of course, before I cut the borders), and I tried everything with that red -- almost to the point of giving up on it. I did some searching online and found that product, I ordered some, used it, and I've never had a piece of fabric bleed after treating it with the Ritz Laundry Treatment Dye Setter. This product is used to set the dye in hand-dyed fabric. Due to having asthma, I prewash every piece of fabric that comes in this house. I have no financial interest of any kind in Ritz or any of its products. Reds are particularly bad, but I dared the red and white log cabin quilt (my avatar) and used this product to set the dyes on ALL of the reds. On that first white quilt with red borders -- I tried everything to stop the bleeding of the red dye -- I went through two gallons of vinegar, epsom salts, etc., including every "old wives' tale" or home remedy and this product is the only thing I tried that worked. I've never looked farther since I found this.

I use three when washing red,black and purple for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
    I have used these Color Catchers many times with good results, with one exception. Once I made Bumblebee costumes out of bright mustard yellow and black fleece for my husband and myself. They were lined and stuffed and looked amazing. I didn't pre-treat the fabric. After we wore them, I removed the polyfil and laundered them using Color Catchers. It ruined the costumes. When I took them out of the washing machine, they were a pale yellow and more of a dull dark brown than a black. I ended up throwing them away, which was a shame as all my materials had costed me about 75 dollars, not to mention the time it took to make them.
    Color Catchers do not set the dye nor make the fabric give up the dye. They only pick up the loose dye from the water, so it will not deposit anywhere else. If you fleece bled, it was the fleece that was the problem.

I am a Color Catcher fan and include an info sheet and some Color Catchers along with the prewashed quilt. I usually prewash everything except precuts. I wash so I know what is going to happen before I gift it.