Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why the difference in sewing strings or precuts? >

Why the difference in sewing strings or precuts?

Why the difference in sewing strings or precuts?

Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Default Why the difference in sewing strings or precuts?

Just about every pattern I've seen with strings uses foundation paper. But I've not seen those same instructions with precuts such as jelly rolls or honey buns.

Does anyone know what the difference is? I'm still sewing long pieces together. It's just that strings are variable widths. I'd much rather not have to tear off all that paper.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:41 PM

I don't use a foundation when I'm doing string blocks. The one exception is when I want a lattice effect and need the a diagonal from corner to corner to be the same color/width. Then I use a foundation so I can keep it located correctly. I guess I figured if when we do bargello quilts--all those strip sets--we don't use a foundation, so why bother?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:41 PM

You can also use a light weight muslin or other fabric that just stays in the quilt. I used paper on the last one I made. I was working on it at one of the guild's sewing bees and I was talking to one of the ladies. She showed me how I could have done it one cotton fabric and saved all the pulling paper off at the end. Next time I'm doing that!
Old 02-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

The reason you see people using foundation paper or fabric when doing string quilts is because strings are not necessarily cut on the straight of grain. The paper adds stability to sew the strings so they lay flat. With jelly rolls or honey buns, you can just sew them to each other because the grain is straight.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I have made several string quilt without foundations of any kind.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM

When I made my boxes of strings (see the tute on this site) I used a very light fusible interfacing. Many of my strings were only 3/4 of an inch wide so I was sewing a 1/8 inch seam. The fusible helped make sure that my seams were not going to fray out. But I have made other string blocks using no foundation. I have also used old tissue paper patterns cut to specific sized squares and shortened my stitch to 1.5. The paper tore off very easily. Since the blocks I was making were diagonal so it was nice to have the extra stability.

And precuts like jelly rolls are a lot wider than 3/4 inch. Same with a lot of the precut squares. I think it is all about the size of the fabric being sewn together.

Last edited by GingerK; 02-10-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM

I don't use foundation paper for strings. My machine sews bias without stretching it so I don't need it.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 AM

This is a question that comes up repeatedly. I'd say there is no one way to do this. I hate the mess of removing paper and have had good results with no foundation at all. I think a foundation is needed for precision piecing but not for a random, more casual design.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I guess it is like anything else in quilting. Like prewash/don’t; starch or not, steam or not, etc. whatever is your preference to get the result you like. I haven’t used foundations for string quilts and am happy with my results
Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Since these are strings I cut myself from FQs or yardage they are on the straight of grain and none are under an inch wide. So I'll proceed with no paper. Much easier for me.