Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why I gave up on precuts

Blog Entries

Red face Why I gave up on precuts

This is so frustrating. I have a Moda honey bun that I'm using to make a couple of doll quilts. I sewed 5 strips together which should have been 5.5" total width and it's 6". Turns out that the strips are over 1.5" wide by just over 1/8". So I had to redo my seam allowance and resew them. Luckily I didn't get far before I checked but geez. I don't think I've had a correctly cut precut so far (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls and now honey buns).

I'm glad I quit buying them a long time ago. I'm just trying to get them used up now.

I buy Moda pre cuts and so far all have been accurate. I don't buy the honey bun size though. I have baskets full of layer cakes and Jelly rolls. Those are the only two sizes I buy.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    only bought a Moda precut and didn't have a problem with it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    Apparently the moral of the story is:

Always measure what you have - just to be sure it is what you are expecting it to be.

But I would not have thought to, either.

How are the pinked edge precuts measured? From outermost edge to outermost edge?

I buy only a few pre-cuts and I select them for foundation paper piecing projects I am going to work on.
    June

I know it's disappointing, but a worse scenario would be if the strips were too narrow! Can always trim the wider strips.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I buy Honey Buns to use as sashing, and so far the Moda and the Robert Kaufman Kona Cottons have been fine.

I clothing construction, fabrics with pinked edges are measured from peak to peak, and this is how I measure my pre-cuts. You can measure from valley to valley, but just make sure you sew them all the same.

Can't really count on peak to peak because sometimes all the peaks are gone...with too
    much handling and whatnot. I only bought one honey bun and haven't used it yet.
    I think I'll find a pattern that doesn't need too much accuracy for that.
    Last time I used a layer cake not all were square...some were less that 10" square.
    Good thing I wasn't counting on using all of the 10" square.
    Of course it gets worse when you starch.

I prefer to cut my own stuff. If it's wrong, then I can only blame me.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I only buy moda precuts and really haven't had a problem with them.

Blog Entries
    At least they were bigger. It was more work but you could fix it.

I have purchased Moda charm packs that have been way off 4.5" rather than 5" so I know what you mean!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

Blog Entries
    I measure peak to peak. The zig zagged edges are another reason I hate precuts. The first time I bought a jelly roll it had straight edges. I guess it was before they started zig zagging everything.

I had one moda jelly roll that had a big angle at the fold of about half the strips. luckily I was able to get the pieces I needed from it.

In the meantime this current project is such a pain I'm going to be sure to find patterns for the rest (of my precuts) that require NO precision and/or have the pieces cut both ways before using them.

Blog Entries
    Oh and I agree-bigger is better than too small (like the riley blake layer cake that was a full 1/4" short on one side of every square-luckily I had to cut them all down anyway).

mkc
    I have only bought one precut ever, a Robert Kaufman jelly roll, and it was just fine. I normally buy yardage, but in this case had a project planned and wanted the variety that a jelly roll gave me.

So glad I saw this topic, though. I will be very mindful of precuts in the future.

Why does it get worse when you starch?
    Margaret F

Blog Entries
    I haven't purchased too many precuts, it seems most of my patterns call for yardage to be cut of your own choice of fabric. I'm glad you thought to measure early enough in your project. I am working on a Antler Design quilt that has you "proofing" your blocks as they are finished and I've not always been diligent about doing so but it is an eye-opener for me....
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Many times precuts are cut with a small pinking edge. If you measure from the point of the pinked edge, it will be about 1/8th inch too wide. Not sure if that is what happened, but it might be. Sorry you have been having problems.

Precuts can be helpful if you are going to use the full piece or cut it in halves or quarters or use them for applique or paper piecing. They are hard to use without waste if you have several piece sizes cut from the same color I have a few but I don't think I will buy more-except basics to use as backgrounds.

Pinking edges are like movie subtitles. After a few minutes I forget I'm using them.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I agree with Boston1954. I have enough fabric to cut my own strips. Sometimes, I don't like to be restricted by the color palette of the precut. I am a scrappy kind of gal.

Quote Originally Posted by MFord View Post
    Why does it get worse when you starch?
    I want to know, too. Why does it get worse when you starch?
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

It is easy to cut precut shapes with the Go. No pinking edges, all straight edges.

pal
    I am very lax when it comes to perfection - but why would it matter if a doll's quilt is a little bit bigger or smaller? Or
    are we talking about the principle of not getting what you expect when you order something?

We bought 12" wide fiberboard for shelving and it turned out to be 11.5" wide. What's going on????
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

I have used some of the leftovers from when RK cuts their charms and find with the pinked edge to be slightly larger so I always trim to make sure of the size.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast