Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you? >

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Old 06-28-2019, 01:33 AM

Default Big, small, or in-between - which type of quilter are you?

Confession, sigh...

I see all these large, glorious quilts full of pattern and color and I fall in love with so many of them, but my reality is they are just too intense for me to actually make. Thinking about this, I've noticed I like to make smaller things, maybe because I don't have a large space or large blocks of time, or maybe because I'll actually at some point finish them. The largest quilts I've made, two, were about 4'x5', and I hand-tied those, but I have made kid size quilts, changing pads, tote bags, cloth dolls, and clothing. I haven't tried applique and I would love to start with something small. I envision seasonal wall hangings, or simple affirmations like "peace", "love", or "it's all good", the size of a placemat. Will I actually make these? Time will tell.

Which size quilt makes you feel more you? What is your favorite thing to sew?
Old 06-28-2019, 02:36 AM
Power Poster

I like to make donation quilts for the cancer center. I can use many different designs and techniques. They can be finished in a shortish time. And I know that they are very much appreciated by the recipients.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:45 AM
Gay

I seem to make all bed sized quilts, though don't know what I will do with those I kept, some aren't finished yet. Most have been for family and friends (their request). Have done some placemats, but really can't be bothered with small/mini quilts. Love stack-n-whack, crazy, scrappy and also machine embroidered.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 AM

I’ve made several king size quilts this past year and my preference is to make quilts that are at least twin size, or what I call cuddle quilts. Maybe because I’m tall, but I feel quilts should be big enough to wrap yourself up in from head to toe, or to share while watching a movie etc. The most comments I get from people about quilts are they are just too small to be actually useful for them, so they languish in a closet somewhere. I don’t make smaller items, though I would like to.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:06 AM

My fabric on hand seems to determine the size of my projects. I've had enough stash to make a few full-size quilts, but several have been lap-size. I also make table runners from extra blocks. I had some blocks left from a particular quilt & used 2 to make a bag, which turned out nicely. One extra block made a wall hanging because the colors didnt really fit in with the main quilt. I've made several totes & given them away. Others now hold my knit or crochet projects. I have made clothes, but I like quilts & totes because they dont have to fit!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:24 AM

I have to admit, the size depends on how much fabric the quilt takes. I've made from over sized king to baby, but the majority have been large lap sized, over 60" square. Make whatever makes you happy.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

I like to make what I call "couch quilts" - about 60 t0 70 inches wide and about 80 to 85 inches long.

Big enough to put on top of a bed for extra warmth, and large enough to cover up completely while on a couch - and small enough to be able to wrangle through my machine to quilt it.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:37 AM

I make all sizes. Donation quilts for church are about twin sixe. I make Door (small quilts) for the nursing home where my mom lived. Also make fidget quilts for them. For my family sizes vary from King size to lap quilts. I have a list of “dying to make” quilts and it continues to grow!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

​I make large quilts but I do small projects in between.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:34 AM

I'm with Bearisgray. Made some smaller, some larger, but my favorite size is most usable to cover up one person completely.