Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Expand Your Own Quilting/Sewing-& Other-Universe By Using Streaming Devices >

Expand Your Own Quilting/Sewing-& Other-Universe By Using Streaming Devices

Expand Your Own Quilting/Sewing-& Other-Universe By Using Streaming Devices

Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM

Red face Expand Your Own Quilting/Sewing-& Other-Universe By Using Streaming Devices

Besides sewing & quilting, I enjoy watching movies & television shows. I am what you would call a "Cord Cutter." That simply means that I don't have cable or satellite in my house like most Americans do. Simply put, I cannot afford it with my fixed limited income.

But that does not mean I go without. I created a alternate to my viewing world by adding streaming devices to my television. I watch the wide variety of offerings on around 150 channels on my "Roku" (one of 2 streaming devices). And if Roku does not offer it, I use another brand of streaming device known as "Chromecast." While there is much overlap in their functions, the Roku has the channels stored inside the tiny device or online. The Chromecast is dependent on casting, pushing, or throwing the content directly from my laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone's own screen (if it has the little cast icon on the content) to the actual physical little device which streams the content on my television. Roku is the easiest to use and Chromecast is too once you get the hang of it.

There are other companies offering streaming devices. Amazon and Apple both have models offered as well. The choice is something that would take some research to make the right choice for you as I did when I was at that stage of selection.

Whatever you choose in the end, you too will have access to content that you would not believe that's now available! I originally limited my choices to only free (ad based, library card subscription, paid by some organization) no out-of-my-own-pocket channels or apps. When I was ready after several months of use, I chose only 1 streaming platform or company that had most of the content that I wanted to watch most of the time which the other freebies did not have-CBS All Access. Now I only pay what I really want and ignore the rest. At 60 dollars annual fee a year (no longer a month like cable demands), I get exactly what I want when I want it. I can renew it next year or cancel anytime. Or I could buy a specific program for a specific amount of time & that's it. So flexible as there as so many more ways to finance your choices that I don't have time to cover here.

And for quilting programs you want to watch? I use Youtube & more rarely pay-per-view for watch new quilting/sewing techniques. So give streaming devices a try when your're ready!

Old 07-16-2019, 09:25 AM

It sounds like you've really done your research on this!
I am enjoying the free programmes that come with my Prime account on Amazon, which I didn't even know existed until I read the information attached after I had signed up for free shipping. You just never know what other benefits may be out that that you can tap into for free or piggy-backed onto a service you already get.

Watson
Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 AM

I have way too many interests and hobbies to worry too much about watching TV. I DVR the shows I want to watch and watch those while sewing. The one hour in the evening that I sit down with my husband and watch a bit of TV isn't that crucial to me so we just watch whatever's on and dont' worry about it.

Watson, I got Amazon Prime for the free shipping and then discovered all the shows I can watch. I used it a lot when I was laid up with the broken ankle. We don't have a TV downstairs in our house and I couldn't safely get upstairs by myself so being able to watch Amazon Prime on my computer or tablet was really nice.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 07-16-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 AM

I don’t have cable, or satellite I don’t do Facebook. I find something to watch for a hour before bed and I’m happy with my choices. I have enough things to occupy my time, I can’t even remember the last movie I watched, all I can think about is all the other things I could be doing other than sitting on my backside doing nothing. I have so much to do in this life and so little time to do it, I want to live, not exist.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:03 AM

How fortunate for you Iona, that you have good internet reception! None of those things would work for me, even yourtube is a trial I seldom bother with because it stops and starts and mostly stops But I'm glad you have found your happy spot.
We quit TV a good 15 or so years ago.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:55 AM

I cut the cord several years ago and got an indoor antenna. I pick up many channels that are not on the cable I had. It works very well here most days when the weather is good. When it's raining some stations break up, but it is still ok with me. Free is very nice!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

We are relics I guess because we have DirecTV with premium channels, no sports channels. Mr. Stitchnripper likes to watch movies so he wants to keep things. I like turning on the TV with one remote. We also have a roku and watch Amazon Prime shows and Netflix. We only watch TV together for some evening hours, but, he watches other things he likes later on while I am in bed. I am an early riser and he is a night owl. I don't have a stash or expensive sewing machines and he doesn't collect anything and has no spendy sports or activities, so we can afford it. We are also fine with our arrangement. Good thing about choices - we can all choose what works for our families.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:30 AM

I don't have cable either. When my husband died, I cut off the landline and the cable - I just have internet. My son gives me Netflix cards for Christmas and I watch Prime. I watch PBS on my Apple TV. I read local newspaper on my computer mainly because I got tired of dealing with the newsprint.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:08 AM

Not a TV watcher either. Local and national news, but not much else, besides sports. (Twins are on right now, and I have it on, but the volume is muted!) I usually go to one movie a month with my BFF, which I consider a socializing event. I read, quilt, do genealogy, and am active on a couple of committees. DH utilizes cable, Roku, Netflix, Chromecast etc and watches whatever he wants. He's an early riser, and I'm a night owl. What ever works for you is great.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
How fortunate for you Iona, that you have good internet reception! None of those things would work for me, even yourtube is a trial I seldom bother with because it stops and starts and mostly stops But I'm glad you have found your happy spot.
We quit TV a good 15 or so years ago.
Being lucky or blessed in all matters Internet is a matter of opinion. You are obviously one of those unfortunate people who don't have great access to the Internet where they live. Do have hope. The corporations that sell Internet access or are in the business of online commerce are finally addressing true Internet access for most, not just in large population centers. Low orbit satellites, 5g, more rural penetration by cellular providers, and possibly some more I might have missed will make their appearances sooner than later. Even I will explore these and other options when they finally arrive. My Roku(s) struggle with the "poor" download speeds I am using at this moment.

Actually the reality here is my Internet access here is considered rather poor for streaming-just a bit faster than dial-up. While I do live in an large urban city where there are more than 1 provider, I chose DSL for price and ease of DIY setup. DSL once worked well when I first subscribed 11 years ago, but no longer. It's very much like the old party lines of the copper based landline telephones. Too many people sharing my line both inside my household as well as the outer neighborhood. So for more than basic computer use, it could (and has) slow down or even fail from time to time.

Solutions (for now at least)? Well I decided to upgrade my own Roku to the sole wired Ethernet connecting device offered by that company now-the Ultra. Just love it and it does solve my buffering problems for the most part to almost 100% full streaming with no interruptions without more costly DSL speed upgrades (and the resulting bill would rise from 40 dollars to 60 dollars or more a month) This Roku is a one time purchase. Another solution I did was add an extra long 15 foot-there are varying lengths available besides mine-Male To Female Extender to another Roku (the Streaming Stick Plus model) to not only place the device much farther away from the television's own interference or even possible overheating of the stick, but to move it closer/better position to the Router. Works great & is a one time purchase too. To control data usage, I turn down resolution to 720p on the Roku menu and on Youtube & Vudu's own apps. When I'm not using it, I turn those device(s) off with a simple inexpensive mechanical On/Off Switch (see below, in 2 or 3 prong versions). No worries on going over my data limit. Plus my privacy is insured.

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
I cut the cord several years ago and got an indoor antenna. I pick up many channels that are not on the cable I had. It works very well here most days when the weather is good. When it's raining some stations break up, but it is still ok with me. Free is very nice!
Yes, free (or rather no direct out of pocket) is really very nice.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-17-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: remove copyright pic, should have used link