Old 07-16-2019, 09:05 AM
Iona D.

Red face Expand Your Own Quilting/Sewing-& Other-Universe By Using Streaming Devices

Besides sewing & quilting, I enjoy watching movies & television shows. I am what you would call a "Cord Cutter." That simply means that I don't have cable or satellite in my house like most Americans do. Simply put, I cannot afford it with my fixed limited income.

But that does not mean I go without. I created a alternate to my viewing world by adding streaming devices to my television. I watch the wide variety of offerings on around 150 channels on my "Roku" (one of 2 streaming devices). And if Roku does not offer it, I use another brand of streaming device known as "Chromecast." While there is much overlap in their functions, the Roku has the channels stored inside the tiny device or online. The Chromecast is dependent on casting, pushing, or throwing the content directly from my laptop computer, tablet, or smartphone's own screen (if it has the little cast icon on the content) to the actual physical little device which streams the content on my television. Roku is the easiest to use and Chromecast is too once you get the hang of it.

There are other companies offering streaming devices. Amazon and Apple both have models offered as well. The choice is something that would take some research to make the right choice for you as I did when I was at that stage of selection.

Whatever you choose in the end, you too will have access to content that you would not believe that's now available! I originally limited my choices to only free (ad based, library card subscription, paid by some organization) no out-of-my-own-pocket channels or apps. When I was ready after several months of use, I chose only 1 streaming platform or company that had most of the content that I wanted to watch most of the time which the other freebies did not have-CBS All Access. Now I only pay what I really want and ignore the rest. At 60 dollars annual fee a year (no longer a month like cable demands), I get exactly what I want when I want it. I can renew it next year or cancel anytime. Or I could buy a specific program for a specific amount of time & that's it. So flexible as there as so many more ways to finance your choices that I don't have time to cover here.

And for quilting programs you want to watch? I use Youtube & more rarely pay-per-view for watch new quilting/sewing techniques. So give streaming devices a try when your're ready!