Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often? >

Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often?

Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often?

Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Default Cleaning a Washing Machine, how often?

We live in hot climate with high humidity, at times. Seems my washing machine was not getting some odors out----yuck ! I use quality washing liquid, no cheap, smelly stuff !
Read online so many ways to clean washers. My machine is top load Maytag and is years old but functions fine. So I decided to use the 'natural ' way of cleaning with vinegar and baking soda--found instructions online. Now there are products you can purchase to do this but already had supplies on hand and did the cleaning process yesterday. Washing machine smells nice now. There are some fabrics that smell so bad after being shipped in those plastic shipping bags--they can actually smell up a room--ha ! Will be doing regular laundry soon to find out if this was worth the hype.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes the old methods are best!
Old 07-18-2019, 08:18 AM

GF leaves the front door open a couple inches all the time to prevent this.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 AM

I use baking soda and vinegar. First put 1 1/2 cups of baking soda in machine and run a regular cycle with just that (run the whole cycle @nd load is with white vinegar (or use the cleaning vinegar (which cleans better) about the same as the baking soda or a litter more, Run the full cycle as before. I do this several times a year. Every so often, take your dryer vent out and wash it with soap and water (use a brush) and rinse really well. Let dry before inserting it again. Be surprised at the results.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 AM

We are a family of three and use out front load washer just about every day, less often in the winter. It is located in a damp basement, but we just added a dehumidifier that keeps the humidity at about 60%. I try to clean it every two weeks, about the beginning and middle of the month. The manufactured says to clean using a cup of bleach and use the tub clean feature. I always keep the door open to keep it drier. It stays fresh smelling so far.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:59 PM

I always keep the lid of my washing machine open when not in use. It keeps it dry. I never had this kind of problem. If I did, the first thing I would use is vinegar because I use it with every wash load anyway. Vinegar works better than softeners and leaves no residue. I love the stuff!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 AM

When I married my husband a few years ago he had his own washing machine. Don't think it had ever been cleaned before I cam along, and it often gets caked on dirt around the upper rim of the tub. I literally have to get a butter knife and scrape it off every so often and then wipe the tub out. Plus it's starting to rust along the lid. If it were up to me, I'd buy a new one. He says "if it ain't broke don't replace it." Going to try the vinegar and baking soda.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

I leave the washer lid open when washer is not in use. A closed lid after use is like taking a shower in a closed bathroom with no ventilation. Moisture has no place to go.

To clean a washer that has mold behind the tub insert is easy. Using a spray bottle of bleach, spray all in the holes of the tub. Let set for about half hour or so and then fill all the way full, adding more water manually until all the holes are covered. The drain and spin. Wash a load of whites afterward so no bleach leftover speckles colored clothes.

Last edited by Onebyone; 07-19-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
I always keep the lid of my washing machine open when not in use. It keeps it dry. I never had this kind of problem. If I did, the first thing I would use is vinegar because I use it with every wash load anyway. Vinegar works better than softeners and leaves no residue. I love the stuff!
I have used vinegar for a very long time along with my homemade liquid soap. I do have 5 wool balls in the dryer to give a little extra help with static.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:36 AM

I'm another one who keeps the lid up. I'm in the Pacific NW and high humidity and it makes a difference. I've never had to actually clean mine, but typically I use bleach at least once a month when I'm washing the white towels.

Also, try to not keep the damp laundry in there for long periods. If I don't get them in the drier within 24 hours I have to wash the load again because I can smell it. Doesn't happen often but sometimes I do forget... having the lid down is a sign should I go into the laundry room.