Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do I do next? >

What do I do next?

What do I do next?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 AM

Default What do I do next?

I'm working on a Christmas gift for my DD who has been so-o-o-o great during the past few years. It's a queen size quilt to replace the one she's worn out.
I think I should continue the pattern another 5 or 6 rows on the top and bottom to make it fit the top of the bed - not using the darker fabrics at all. But after that?
Should I add a narrow border to frame it and if so should it be dark or light?
Can I just add a border measuring a 10 - 12 inch drop all round?
The first picture is just the centre medallion; the second is showing how it looks with other fabrics. The fabric on the bottom right I purchased for borders but I'm thinking it should be the backing? I would need another 2 yards/metres I think.
It's being constructed as sort of a quilt as you go because I'm planning on quilting it myself on my DSM which has a throat space of about 6 inches - just straight lines emphasizing the expanding from the centre. Or should I splurge on a long armer?
Attached Thumbnails 20190920_154447.jpg   20190921_113252.jpg  
Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

A few questions/comments -

It is beautiful so far - I love the design and the colors you have used.

You might consider starting with what you want the finished size to be (allow for "shrinkage" that happens when it is quilted and what it might shrink after it is washed).

How does your daughter put her pillows on the bed during the day? Some people put the pillows on top of the quilt - which is what I do.

Some people use a pillow tuck and the pillows are covered with the quilt/spread. Even that varies from a "barely there" tuck to about a six inch tuck.

Some people only put a border on three sides of the quilt/spread.

Is this intended to be a bedspread?

I prefer that a quilt/spread only drop to cover the top couple of inches of a bed skirt. I think they get too heavy and uncomfortable to be under when they reach the floor. Plus hard to handle while making it.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-21-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:50 AM

I would add a few more rows of the lights, then a border of the darkest, but you do what ever you want and feels right to you! by the way its beautiful!
Old 09-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Oh, this is beautiful so far! Your colors are gorgeous. If it were mine, I'd add enough rows to make the drop just long enough to cover the sides of the mattress (15 inches, roughly) on 3 sides, and enough rows to reach the top edge of the mattress. Then I'd bind in the darkest plum. I would not add a border ; I think that would detract from the design. And Maybe make two pillowcases--dark main, lighter flange, medium trim (if you do the "magic pillowcase" as seen on youtube).
Old 09-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

look online at photos of these quilts. that may help you decide on borders, etc. Wonderful quilt!!
Old 09-21-2019, 10:58 AM

I think a narrow binding as Zozee suggested would look better than a larger border. Love the colors. As far as quilting, have you considered doing somewhat of an echo quilting. Example: quilt at the intersection where your plum color joins with your lighter colors ... basicly following the shape of your center design. Perhaps stitch like this 2 to 3 rows apart all over the quilt. Your machine may not have enough throat space to do this easily.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

No opinion. I make generous sized matching pillow covers for my bed quilts.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:04 PM

Whatever you do it is going to be just stunning.....it's the most gorgeous quilt...fabulous.

Just a quick thought...does your DD have dogs? A "long drape" quilt can get soiled by pets that find it a favourite rubbing point as they walk about your bedroom! I think it's best to have it just overhanging the drop of the mattress...not any longer.

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 09-21-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:28 AM

This is gorgeous. I would have never thought to put these colors together but these came out sooo well! Thank you for sharing. I usually go for a little darker border as that is where the quilt will be handled.

By the way--as I'm looking at those pictures. On the top left and lower left, did a gold/yellow block get switched? It's not the same as the section on the right side of the quilt. On the right the gold/yellow stair steps evenly toward the center but on the left it's not the same.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:18 AM

If it were me, I'd frame what you have on all 4 sides with more bargello, then bind it in the red. Anything that you do will be just fine as you have started a beautiful quilt.