Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MDF brand fabric from Marshall’s Dry Goods >

MDF brand fabric from Marshall’s Dry Goods

MDF brand fabric from Marshall’s Dry Goods

Old 08-28-2020, 04:15 PM

Default MDF brand fabric from Marshall’s Dry Goods

I am not referring to their Dream Cotton or their name brand lines they carry such as Andover, Riley Blake, etc. I am speaking right now about their cheeper MDF line for $3.99. and their blender’s and calico’s for $4.49 a yd.
I bought a bunch of these cheaper fabrics when I first decided to try quilting. Since then I am more prone to purchase better name brand fabrics online, as they are usually prettier, feel nicer and are a better weight.

However, I am in the process of selecting fabric from my stash for a quilt I want to give to someone, and some of these MDF prints would work (coordinate) with my other better fabrics.

However, as it is something that I will be gifting, I am afraid that they might not hold up or lose their color faster than the better fabrics. Can anyone speak from experience to this?
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM

Sorry, I've never heard of "MDF" brand fabric. I am familiar with the others you mention.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:58 PM

that's their own brand (Marshall Dry Goods Fabric) and I have to say I haven't ordered them other than wideback and it was fine.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:05 AM

I bought some blenders a few yrs ago, and while they look great on my shelves, they feel stiff. I'd never consider buying them again.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

I go to Marshall's all the time. The MDG fabric vaires in feel. Some of the first MDG fabric is very stiff and now some are softer. The stiffness does goes away and I have never had one bleed. Most of the MDG prints are not clear colors, more muted and muddy to me with mundane designs. My guild buys a lot of it for community service quilts. I buy Dream Cotton for solids but I seldom buy the MDG prints because of the blah designs even though the quality is good.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:15 PM

Yes, I agree on the blenders. Some are attractive for blenders as opposed to using solids, but they are stiff. I have bought a few to see what they are like. Have not tried washing them yet to see if they soften up. I assume they would, but wonder how the color holds up compared to the name brand stuff.