Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Merry Christmas everyone -- new member -- new quilter -- introduction >

Merry Christmas everyone -- new member -- new quilter -- introduction

Merry Christmas everyone -- new member -- new quilter -- introduction

Old 12-24-2006, 01:18 PM

:oops:

Merry Christmas to everyone. I'm a new quilter although I learned to sew when I was about 12. I haven't sewn for years. I received from my husband's in-laws a wooden coffee box with quite a few old dresses from his aunts and grandmother. He & I spent the past several months tearing them apart. I've got them in plastic bags in a large box. Searched for a suitable method of using them over that time. I've decided on a Cathedral Quilt (although I do realize it's not a traditional quilt). I've made a quick quilt (all machine made) for my husband's uncle & a scrappy quilt for my uncle for this Christmas. I'm assuming the Cathedral will be about a 2 year project & give me some hand work for evenings & when I sit in doctor's offices', etc.

I'm looking forward to learning more with the forums & the newsletters.

Linda

southwestern Pennsylvania
Old 12-24-2006, 01:37 PM

Hi lin-sue,
Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.Where in Pa. are you located? My parents were from Pa. They moved to Louisiana before I was born, many, many years ago. Have a great christmas.

Mary in Louisiana
Old 12-24-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by lin-sue
:oops:

Merry Christmas to everyone. I'm a new quilter although I learned to sew when I was about 12. I haven't sewn for years. I received from my husband's in-laws a wooden coffee box with quite a few old dresses from his aunts and grandmother. He & I spent the past several months tearing them apart. I've got them in plastic bags in a large box. Searched for a suitable method of using them over that time. I've decided on a Cathedral Quilt (although I do realize it's not a traditional quilt). I've made a quick quilt (all machine made) for my husband's uncle & a scrappy quilt for my uncle for this Christmas. I'm assuming the Cathedral will be about a 2 year project & give me some hand work for evenings & when I sit in doctor's offices', etc.

I'm looking forward to learning more with the forums & the newsletters.

Linda

southwestern Pennsylvania
I am not trying to sound bossy. But please don't let the fabric stay in those plastic bags to long it will make them sweat and mold at the very least open them up for air to get into. I learned this the hard way.
Misty
Old 12-24-2006, 08:49 PM

Welcome Linda and Merry Christmas to you. I'm from northeastern PA. I've been quilting several years but have only finished about 10 quilts. I have many projects in the works though. I would like to make a cathedral window quilt sometime but I want to finish all my UFOs first. Have a great holiday.

Minda
Old 12-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Hi Mary,

Live about 25 miles northeast of Pittsburgh in Armstrong County. If you look on a map & find the County then go to the southern section of it there's a recreational area called Crooked Creek. We're on the back waters on a 135 acre farm

Linda
Old 12-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Hi Minda,

As the "really" first big project this concerns me in a way. (cathedral quilt) I look at all the yarn I bought for sweaters that's still sitting around. I'm only going to try to do a couple things at a time & make sure I finish. I don't want as many UFO's as I have yarn.

Linda
Old 12-25-2006, 01:38 PM

Hi Misty,

I take no offense. Actually as I start to cut my 2" squares all the bags will be opened over the next month or so. They are in my bedroom on the 2nd floor of the house and all the material was pressed after we tore apart the clothing. Just last week I had it all out of the box to see how many different pieces I had. It still looked okay. BTW, now I'm looking for more things from the family since I need over 2200 2" squares & if divided up equally I need about 55 of each fabric. Some of the pieces I have may only make 10 or so squares meaning I need probably 100 or so of the others to make up for them.

Thanks for the advice.

Linda
Old 12-26-2006, 10:13 AM

Welcome! The cathedral window quilt is an excellent one for carrying to doctors appointments (I have done this many times) and is also excellent for that "evening in front of the tv work" I found it very relaxing. When I was recuperating from shoulder surgery and from elbow tendonitis it was about the only needlework I could do. That was when I made all my CW ornaments.

Judyjo
Old 12-26-2006, 01:28 PM

Hi Judyjo,

What type of ornaments did you make with Cathedral Windows. Sounds interesting.

Linda
Old 12-26-2006, 02:04 PM

Hi Linda, if you go to page 3 of the Main forum and click on the thread "what are you making for Christmas gifts" then scroll down and you'll see a picture of the ornaments. Then go to page 8 of the main forum and click on the thread "cathedral window ornament". I have posted the directions. You just have to click on "download". Just one hint. If you decide to try them you can't start with a preconceived idea of how to make them. You have to follow the directions carefully and step by step. They are fun to make and also fun to find fabric that you can "fussy cut" for the window part.

Judyjo