Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Recent Finishes >

Recent Finishes

Recent Finishes

Old 06-20-2021, 05:33 AM

Default Recent Finishes

This is been a difficult summer so far, my son's home burned to the ground. They had just returned home with some new baby chicks, had let the dog out, let the cat in, changed into their gardening clothes and were near the green house when my son heard a noise, he turned and saw flames shooting out of his house. He ran to the house and opened the front door but the smoke and heat were too intense enter the house. He ran to the back of the house where he was finally able to use an axe to break the sliding glass door. He called for Gus, his cat, he tried to get in the house but knew if he took one more step he'd probably die so he went back outside and just kept screaming, finally Gus came to the door. Gus had singed ears and had trouble breathing but he's okay now. My son had trouble breathing, but he's okay. The house burned completely to the ground except for one wall, the wall with the bed. The bed had two quilts on it that I had made for them as well as the drawers under the bed had two quilts. The fireman said it would be impossible to get the smell out and the two quilts on the bed had ash and a few bad areas. Well, never tell a quilter, "you can't" because I googled and asked questions and after washing quilts in washing soda and vinegar and then soaking in a tub for 24 hours with 1/2 gal. of vinegar and then washing two more times and then repairing, they have four of the quilts back. I'm so glad that I tend to keep my scraps for 'other quilts' so I had the scraps to do repairs. The special quilts in the living room are nothing but ashes. So, the sad part is he built this house with his own two hands, it was within two weeks of the siding being completed and the insurance companying insuring the house. He had all of the paperwork with all of the inspections for insurance purposes and the insurance company came back and said to put on siding before they'd insure the place! They were left with nothing but the gardening clothes on their backs but they were safe and their animals were safe. But, the stress is real as they are still paying all of the bills on the supplies for the house so they can't just ran out and buy another house. I'm taking care of the cat and dog and the watering in the 32ft. greenhouse. He and his wife are staying with friends and coming over in the evening to take care of the chickens and continue the gardening. So, I'm an avid quilter, but what do I do when I'm nervous? I go into overdrive. The hardest part about watching your children go through something horrible is not being able to "fix it". To see your grown son cry is so hard to handle because in my eyes I only see a small child! By the way, the Fire Marshal said the fire started with a surge protector that was used by the television for the DVD player and a lamp. He said he had a fire in his own home in April from the exact same thing. When we said we thought the surge protector was supposed to protect from things like that he said simply they don't. His advice: 1. Never, ever, leave a phone charger plugged into an outlet or surge protector when it's not charging your phone, he said this causes more fires than people would believe. 2. Check your surge protectors weekly, if they feel warm/hot or are discolored, throw them away and buy new. He said most people buy these surge protectors and use them until they quit! So true. So, here are my recent finishes. The double Irish Chain is completed and ready to be gifted. (I don't care for the borders on this quilt but I'm trying my hardest to quilt from my stash, now I wish I'd ordered more fabric for the borders to match.) The floral quilt is from a book by It's Sew Emma and will be quilted this summer...sometime! I still need to bind the red, white and blue quilt (a MSQC video pattern) but it will be completed today and gifted to some dear neighbors on Monday. The blue and green quilt is not quilted yet but hopefully I'll get it on quilt frame next week and start quilting this beauty from the pattern Botanica Park by Wing and a Prayer.
Attached Thumbnails double-irish-chain.jpg   double-irish-chain-close-up.jpg   flower-quilt.jpg   red-white-blue-msqc-qult.jpg   botanica-gardens.jpg  

Last edited by pineneedles4; 06-20-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:47 AM

This is such a sad thing that has happened to your family - I am so very sorry to hear it. I am glad that everyone is safe, however. Thank you for sharing the tips for preventing fires as well as your beautiful quilt pictures. Stay safe.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:28 AM

I have tears in my eyes as I type this. What a horrible event to witness your family go through! I'm thankful everyone was okay and you were able to salvage some of the quilts. Your quilts are amazing and I know you will continue to be a strong supporter
of your son, his wife and his animal family. Love to all of you.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:35 AM

I'm so sorry about your son's house. I'm glad that you were able to reclaim the quilts. I'm sure they'll love having something from their life 'before the fite'. Sending prayers for all of you.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:01 AM

My heart goes out to your son and his family as well as to you as you can do nothing to make it better for him. How very sad. The good news is they are all safe!
The quilts are so pretty. Great job and I am sure they will be much loved.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts and tops! They say what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger but that’s cold comfort when you are devastated. ((Hugs))
Old 06-20-2021, 10:22 AM

Your quilts are beautiful. I am so sorry about your sons loss of his home.we built ours with our own hands and it means more than just boards and nails. I remember we had a hurricane coming and we didn’t have builders insurance. I prayed hard we didn’t loose everything. Our prayers were answered and we got it insured as soon as we finished- I wasn’t even aware they sold builders insurance until someone asked me. We paid for our supplies as we worked. Was your son doing this or was he building with borrowed money? Either way it’s a tremendous loss. I am so very sorry.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:13 PM

Your quilts are amazing and beautiful! I am so sorry for the tragedy in your family. It is so hard seeing our loved ones going through such tough times. I’m sure it is a big help to them, knowing their beloved pets are being taken care of! Prayers to all of you.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful quilts!

I am so sorry to hear about the fire. Hope something can be worked out with the insurance company so they will pay. Big hugs, sent your way! (((((( )))))))
Old 06-20-2021, 07:06 PM

Wonderful. Great f8 sines ...I had to smile...I have a UFO just like the red,white and blue quilt. I will have to see if I can find it.
good job 👍👍