Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Sourdough Rye Bread With Raisins >

Sourdough Rye Bread With Raisins

Sourdough Rye Bread With Raisins

Old 11-14-2021, 04:54 AM

Default Sourdough Rye Bread With Raisins

I made a good bread yesterday. I took my regular, no-knead, sourdough recipe and replaced most of the flour with Rye flour, then added a couple handfuls of raisins. I plopped the messy dough into a cast iron Dutch oven, put on the lid and let it rise. It spread out more than it rose, (I need a smaller Dutch oven for this task,) but it made a nice "cocktail" bread...perfect for smearing some fresh butter, or cream cheese on it. The raisins tasted great in it!
Old 11-15-2021, 02:35 AM

I like to add rye flour to my white breads. It seems to add a slight tang and crunch. I have a Dutch oven for bread baking but rarely use it - you've inspired me to get it out again.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:29 AM

Do share your No Knead Sourdough Recipe!

Watson
Old 11-15-2021, 10:32 AM

Yes, please share your recipe!
Old 11-17-2021, 10:01 AM

I don't have a written recipe and I just eyeball it...sorry. Here's the gist of what I do. You can make any corrections that you like.

I get out my starter, add more white flour to it and some lukewarm water to it to make a thick batter. I let that sit out, covered, for a day, or two. The longer it sits, the more sour it gets. I then pour half of my starter back into it's jar and put that back in the fridge. To the rest of the starter, I add my flours, whatever kind I like, some salt and in this case, some raisins. I get it stirred up and just lightly knead it. I use the covered Dutch oven method. I like to line my pot with some oil and cornmeal so things don't stick. The dough is shaped and put in the pot, covered and left to rise about a couple of hours, or until almost doubled. Then, it's put into a hot oven and baked about 25 minutes with the cover on and about 20 more minutes with the cover off. I like to tap it to hear how hollow it is. You don't have to tap the bottom, tapping the top works too. If it is hollow sounding and a light, golden brown on top, it's ready.