Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room! >

Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room!

Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room!

Old 12-07-2022, 12:15 PM

Default Just Packed My Entire Sewing Room!

...in preparation for moving to my new condo, tomorrow.
I didn't go through anything to sort it out, just packed everything and I'm going to sort it out when I unpack and put it away.
I had an amazing amount of stuff in that tiny room.
Now, I will have a room that is about 30% larger plus, my long arm will be in the basement where there is tons of room. I was never able to do pantographs before as I couldn't get to the back of my machine...Now, I will be able to experiment with those.
I purchased 3 "cube" storage units from Ikea to make into a large sewing table on wheels and found a used bureau to make into a large ironing surface. I'm going to be busy.
Non-quilters don't get it when I tell them I am using the smaller bedroom for myself and the larger bedroom for my sewing room...but you guys understand, right?

Watson
Old 12-07-2022, 12:34 PM

Oh, I get that but I have a husband who would not like to be using a smaller room as our bedroom. But our second bedroom in our townhome works for me as a sewing room. We have no basement so the 2nd bedroom is my place. Our Grandson is here for a week and has an air mattress and sleeping bag as we have no bed in our 2nd bedroom. If I had a spare bedroom with a bed, this is where relatives would stay when they come to visit family. I housed them for 40 years when they came as we lived in a large farmhouse. Now the rest of the family here can house them when they come for a visit. When we travel hubby won't stay with relatives as he prefers his own space, so we stay in motels so I don't feel bad if I can't house visiting relatives. And there is a motel a few blocks from us. Am I being bad or what!
Old 12-07-2022, 12:39 PM

Oh yes, my son was surprised when i took the next largest bedroom at the front of this house for my sewing room. I used to have a basement room and the large open space there also and a guest bed to put my quilts onto. So I downsized a lot! Now i'm trying to finish projects from long ago when I feel like it. Everything else will to to a Quilt Volunteer and her quilt friends when the time comes. Nothing like space!!
Old 12-07-2022, 01:43 PM

I get it. My sister and I dream of winning the lottery and designing our homes. Priority is for a large sewing room and another large enough for a long arm. She does use the larger master bedroom for her sewing room now. I just have the spare bedroom for my fun room.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Watson, I don't think any of us would fault you for your priorities! Hope you get the new sewing room just the way you want it and enjoy many happy hours there.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:03 PM

Priorities! When I separated and bought my house it HAD to have room for my sewing and my longarm. I use the basement family room as my sewing room and the unfinished area next to it for my longarm. All quilty things are on one floor. Be sure to post pictures !

Last edited by tallchick; 12-07-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
...Non-quilters don't get it when I tell them I am using the smaller bedroom for myself and the larger bedroom for my sewing room...but you guys understand, right?Watson
I definatly get it. My Big bedroom is what I am using for myself at present but I have decided that I will be trading bedrooms as the big one has 2 nice windows and I can get more light without turning on the overhead. Also I have 3 machines to store (2 are classics) My 5' long dining table will fit along the "bed wall" with room to spare. I'll be able to have my laptop for noise while cutting and sewing my quilts as I rarely make someone else's quilts. I love to design my own projects.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I wish I had such a nice large space for a sewing room. We have three spares and they all have sewing things in them in one way or another.
Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM

I can't get why you would want a large portion of your house for a room that yu are in only to sleep. I designed my house with a small master and the master and bath were turned into a sewing room. So I get it!!
Old 12-07-2022, 04:25 PM

Wish I could convince DH because our master takes up 1/3 of the second floor. But it does also house the king bedframe with under mattress drawers that he designed and built. It wouldn't fit into either of the other bedrooms. Sigh...guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the basement.

Enjoy arranging your new sewing area, Watson. You deserve it.