Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Leftover cabbage. >

Leftover cabbage.

Leftover cabbage.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Default Leftover cabbage.

I had half a head of cabbage I needed to use and didn't want slaw. I rough chopped half of it. Put the other half out for the rabbits. I added one can of diced tomatoes in a pot, added the cabbage, salt, good chicken broth ( I use Zoup Bone Broth) and some grilled onion from last night's burgers. It is very flavorful. My husband came in and said what is that good smell? He said this is delicious even though there is no corn beef. He thinks cabbage should be eaten with corn beef. He said I'll grill some pork steaks to go with it that should be good. Maybe a pan of cornbread too. I just wanted soup. LOL
Old 09-28-2023, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Sounds yum. Does anyone watch Cooking with Brenda Gantt on Facebook videos? That sounds like a recipe she would make.
Old 09-28-2023, 02:35 PM

I love lazy man's cabbage roll casserole. So easy to throw together and perfect for fall weather--and for using up the last of a head of cabbage. (I've even been know to use a bagged coleslaw mix instead--shhhhh)
Old 09-28-2023, 02:46 PM

that's what I like about cabbage, if you don't think you can use it fast enough, you can cook it. Can't do that with lettuce (usually). I just fry up an onion and add the shredded cabbage, yum.
Old 09-29-2023, 03:48 AM

I freeze mine. Chop, freeze, and use in soups.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:31 AM

Yum, that sounds a lot like the weight loss cabbage soup recipe I used to make in the 90s. That used a package of french onion soup mix instead of chicken broth but otherwise pretty much the same -- I used quite a bit of celery in mine as well.

One of the things I like with leftover or just buying a bag of shredded cabbage is what I call "Mostly Mu Shu". Add a sliced or diced onion, more carrots if you have them, and if you have precooked leftover pork, chicken or shrimp cut that into small strips as well -- or stir fry the meat first with a bit of soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Then throw in the cabbage and vegies and cook them down as well, you might need to add a little liquid (stock, rice vinegar and/or water) or oil. You need a big pan to start with before the cabbage settles down. Just before the end of cooking hit everything with some hoisin sauce. Serve taco style wth preferably thin flour tortillas. You can also have plum (duck) sauce.

Is easy to google, here is one recipe similar to how I make itL:
https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/moo-shu-pork/

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-29-2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I love lazy man's cabbage roll casserole...... So easy to throw together and perfect for fall weather--and for using up the last of a head of cabbage. (I've even been know to use a bagged coleslaw mix instead--shhhhh)
GingerK ... We must be "two of a kind" as my mind went to both the casserole .... and the sometimes bagged option for simplicity!

Another favourite is Cabbage Cake ... basically shredded cabbage and ground beef mixed with tea biscuit dough and baked in a cake pan. Freezes well, too.

Now y'all have me hankering for both!
Old 09-30-2023, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I love cabbage any old way your recipe sounds delicious. My husband just made a huge batch of cabbage rolls (can't spell the Polish word for them). We call them gwumpkies but I don't think that's the spelling.
I love cabbage in soups.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:24 AM

My newest way to prepare cabbage is to cut head into 1/2" slices and place on parchment paper in sheet pan. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle spices, and bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes. When I pull them out of the oven, I put a tab of butter on each slice.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:42 AM

Cabbage is simply versatile. I use it to bulk up a stir fry and love cabbage roll casserole made in my pressure cooker. I'm going to look into cabbage cake - never heard of it.