Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Placemat -- Sizes? >

Placemat -- Sizes?

Placemat -- Sizes?

Old 04-25-2024, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Default Placemat -- Sizes?

What size of placemats are the best to make and use?

I want to make some placemats as gifts and also, for our church bazaar this fall.

The problem is, what size?

I've never been a regular user, so am reaching out for suggestions
and who better to ask, than all my quilty friends, around the world!
THANK YOU!!
Old 04-25-2024, 11:48 AM

I went through a period of making placements, typically just using prequilted fabric and putting on a binding. To be honest, I used a favorite oval placement of mine as a pattern. I've found many of my bought/gifted rectangular placements to be too small for me, can barely put flat ware on either side of the plates. But heck, hubby and I just formally ate together at our dining room table for the first time last week or so... we've been in the new house for about 6 months. Still, I do enjoy a nicely set table every now and then.

So enough history/backstory -- I'd say you can get about 4-6 placements per yard with some trim leftover, roughly 12x18"

Here's a website link:
https://www.chairish.com/blog/what-size-is-a-placemat/
Old 04-25-2024, 11:50 AM

I usually make them 12 x 16 but have gone larger to 18 if someone requested. Also discovered when I started selling mine that 6 was better than 4. good luck.
Old 04-25-2024, 06:21 PM

I think 12 x 18 is ideal. The finished size of the ones below is 12.5" x 18.5". They fit perfectly on a 39" wide table with space between (including the table runner). Our plates and place settings fit fine on them.

I'd say make them as big as possible given the dimensions of your table. If you include a table runner, make sure it fits on the table without overlapping.
Attached Thumbnails salsa-table-set.png   salsaset-2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2024, 05:37 AM

Mine have been all over the place in size, but 13 x 18 seems about right.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Thanks All ... for your comments and size suggestions

IceBlossom ... much appreciated your link. An interesting read, as well as all the hop-offs to other points on that site.

I've never really been "sold" on placemats. I think my non-interest is because generally placemats plan for the plate/cutlery to go on them, but not the drinking glass. Always seems weird to me, as the glass is just as apt (or even more-so) to have dribbles onto the table. So, it always made more sense to me to put a whole tablecloth on or be prepared to wipe off the table.

All that being said, I am thinking of making a matched set, where I will give each friend two, when we are at a get together, with a comment, that as we each use ours, we can think of the other. Maybe this will get me using placemats?

For the church bazaar, I will make sets of two, for the singles. That'll keep the price point looking a bit better. Then do multiple sets for some, so that if someone wants more than two, they can buy more than one set. Of course, that's if they get there before others scoop them up!!

Again Thanks Everyone!! ... who have already commented.
Others are still welcome to add further suggestions and ideas.

I'm kind of looking forward to trying some patterns, whether "official" placemat patterns, or just some blocks that I can make and then add on to, to get to placemat size.

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-27-2024 at 12:18 PM.