Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gift Quilt Packaging >

Gift Quilt Packaging

Gift Quilt Packaging

Old 04-27-2024, 03:21 AM

Default Gift Quilt Packaging

I have several quilts I am going to be gifting in the next few weeks and looking for packaging ideas. Of course I could always put them in a gift bag or use wrapping paper but wanting to see any more creative ideas you may have!
Old 04-27-2024, 03:39 AM

I rarely "wrapped" by quilts. I roll them so all the edges are to the inside, unless I've made a special label (then I make sure it's on the outside wrap so I can fold it over to show). After they're rolled up nicely I tie a pretty ripen or a nice piece of selvedge around it and tie it in a bow. Some of the selvedges are decorated so a lot of times I'll use those. They look so pretty that way I think.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:38 AM

I roll mine too and fold down the label so it can be seen. I then tie it with raffia or other ribbon that I have on hand. I thought I had a photo of one prepared like that, but I may have deleted it in one of my clean out efforts on my laptop.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:44 AM

When I gifted a wedding quilt, I shopped at Michael's and found a fairly inexpensive decorative box with a magnetic closure. Maybe Hobby Lobby?
Old 04-27-2024, 05:03 AM

Most times I pack the quilt in a pillowcase either I made using the scraps from the quilt or picked up from the thrift shop. This way when they're not using it, they can store it in a pillowcase which allows the quilt to breath. The oversized Queen and King I usually have to make a pillowcase as regular size ones aren't large enough. Sometimes I'll make 2 pillowcases in case they want to use them on their bed when using the quilt. I also include a couple "color catcher" sheets with instructions on how to launder their quilts.
Old 04-27-2024, 05:11 AM

I repurposed a canvas bag I was given at the Houston Quilt Show. I ripped out one of the side seams, added a strip of fabric to cover the ad logo on the bag and sewed it all up again. The quilt was for a friend to take to chemo treatments so the bag came in handy to carry her quilt.
Attached Thumbnails img_4107.jpeg  

Last edited by vcquan; 04-27-2024 at 05:16 AM. Reason: add a picture
Old 04-27-2024, 05:46 AM

The unfinished wood crates you can buy at craft stores. Especially if it's a big quilt. Roll in up instead of folding it. The recipent can use the crate in whatever way they like in addition to enjoying the quilt.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:31 AM

I read once the suggestion to either make or get a pillowcase to gift it in, and then put a pocket on it and place some of the fabric you used to make it in the pocket just in case it needs in the future a small repair, there will be matching fabric to repair it with.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:21 AM

I take mine to the UPS store and they do a great job of packing my quilts! I make sure that they put them in a plastic bag first.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:20 PM

Such great ideas! Thanks everyone!