Hello Everyone

Old 05-13-2024, 09:40 AM

Smile Hello Everyone

Hello all, my name is Dale (a male, not a Dale Evans..lol) and i live in Canton Texas home to First Trades Day.. "The largest area Flea Market still running" once a month anyway. I'm very new to quilting, and being retired and no car I am at home a lot needless to say. I saw a sewing group at the church I attend and decided to go, as I do a little sewing here and there at now. HA, this group is a full fledged quilting group ministry that makes quilts for needy and those that need to be warm. I love serving people, so i decided to keep going and I was hooked after one group. I was So hooked I bought a new Brother XR9550 computerized quilting sewing machine and it's already made my life easier. As I've been learning I google questions and guess who's site comes up more than 50% of the time with answers to my questions, "QuiltingBoard Forums" site :-) I really love my new machine and don't I know a lot (yet :-D) but I'm so thankful to have been allowed to join and look forward to learning and growing in my skills and knowledge.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:02 AM

Welcome from Ohio! I think you will find everyone very helpful and full of information. We look forward to seeing what you are working on!
Old 05-13-2024, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the group!
Old 05-13-2024, 12:33 PM

Welcome Dale/Wils! While usually in the minority there are plenty of men who quilt for various reasons. One of my good friends went back home because things were falling apart on the old family homestead. He had time on his hands, very little money but trunks of old clothes in the attic and he decided if I could quilt, so could he. Being cold was another motivator. Sounds like you found a good group in RL and we are here for you virtually. We all start some where/time and end some where/time. Hope you spend some time with us -- just jump right into the questions or conversations.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome!

Read all the instructions that came with your machine. I have learned the hard way that it is worth taking the time to do so.

I am happy for you to have found a group that has turned you on.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:44 PM

Welcome to the QB and to the wonderful world of quilting... there is a wealth of information available, here and on the web, enjoy the path you take!
Old 05-13-2024, 08:53 PM

Welcome from Minnesota, Dale! We're glad you are here and enjoying this wonderful, creative artform. As others have said, you will find great people on this site, willing to share their knowledge and helpful hints. We would love to see what you make.

Leslie
Old 05-14-2024, 03:12 AM

Welcome! This is a great place to come for information and inspiration. There are so many pictures of great quilts. I think it's great that you are helping out with charity quilts.
I've been to the Canton flea market a couple of times. Took us all day to walk around and look. Is it still outside? I'm originally from Shreveport, LA, but moved to WV 34 years ago.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:19 AM

Welcome! You will find lots of information and inspiration here and on other quilting sites. There are lots of videos and tutorials for beginning quilters. Fat Quarter Shop has a beginner quilt series (free). I'm guessing you are learning just as much in the group you are working with, and there is no better way than through folks who are like minded.

There are quite a few very well known male quilters. Ricky Tims, Scott Flanigan, Rob Appel come immediately to mind, but there are many others. There was a member here a long time ago, I can't remember his name... He started off with a New York Beauty, I think, not realizing what he was getting into. Does anyone remember this? Fabulous quilts.

We look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:28 AM

Welcome from the Mitten state, Michigan. Wander this site for more ideas than one quilter can use. I started out as a lurker. I just watched and learned. So lurk, ask questions, show us your work and congratulations on finding a new way to show your passion for helping others. Lots of like minded folks here.