Hello Everyone

Old 05-14-2024, 04:15 AM

Welcome! We love to encourage new quilters. If you have any questions, just ask. We were all beginners once.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:32 AM

Thank you Lisa :-)
Old 05-14-2024, 07:50 AM

Default I feel welcomed indeed

Oh thank you so much for all the welcome's. After reading on the site before I asked to join I could already see the kindness and beautiful things y'all create, HA, I've not even bought my first material yet, but i will. When I told my son I bought a new machine and was going to quilt he said, dad please make me one so I can pass it down in my family. LOL He's not even married yet, but I believe he's found a keeper of a g/f and hopefully they will. Also he is the last namesake to carry on our family name, so i have high hopes for that to happen, Lord willing. Yes Quiltbaer, First Trade Days are still outside, I suspect much like you saw it last. I was working as a Papa Johns delivery driver but my car broke so I have friends that help and take me places when i need things, they are the best. But it's been very hard to learn to ask for help when I've not had to do that all my life. Being retired now, my Gov income is what it is and I don't complain, I'm blessed. Thank you ALL once again for the nicest welcome and well wishes as I start my quilting journey...
Old 05-15-2024, 04:34 AM

For budget quilting fabric, don't forget clothing. For quilting we want 100% cotton, but it doesn't have to be. Just be warned that the more poly in your fabric typically the more slippery it will be. When going to flea markets or thrifting, shirts can have a lot of usable fabric especially in the back. Not only are backs nice large pieces (especially men's multi-X sizes) they are also usually free from stains. You want good condition, not over washed.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
For budget quilting fabric, don't forget clothing. For quilting we want 100% cotton, but it doesn't have to be. Just be warned that the more poly in your fabric typically the more slippery it will be. When going to flea markets or thrifting, shirts can have a lot of usable fabric especially in the back. Not only are backs nice large pieces (especially men's multi-X sizes) they are also usually free from stains. You want good condition, not over washed.
As I learn and approach getting ready to make my first quilt, (not to much longer...lol) The first one will be for my son. I have a very nice lady i the quilting group who does and will help as her times allows. But I personally don't have a lot of shirts, but your idea and reminder is great information and one that I will now always be on the lookout when I see things like that.. I'll tell you what all my life I was able to have a car.. I'm so very blessed to have all the help I need to get to Dr appts and food and all that. But life without a car is challenging at times. Thank you for your caring reply, Wils
Old 05-15-2024, 11:50 AM

Welcome from So. California! Hope you enjoy your quilting journey. Don't let the Quilt Police scare you off - there are a lot of ways to do things, so don't always think you are doing it wrong if it works for you. I started out sewing clothes and got into quilting because I loved hand sewing. My stitches were not the 14 stitches per inch and I was afraid to let other see what I made. Then one day I was watching Georgia Bonesteel, a world renowned hand quilter, say that consistency was more important than length of stitch and it wasn't going to be written in on grave stone "she stitched 14 stitches per inch." My daughters kept telling me, my quilts were better than I thought they were. Then I went to a quilt show and saw several quilts that made me feel mine were at least as well made. I don't make quilts to show or compete - mine are for friends and family to be used and loved. It's a hobby so enjoy the process!
Old 05-15-2024, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
Welcome from So. California! Hope you enjoy your quilting journey. Don't let the Quilt Police scare you off - there are a lot of ways to do things, so don't always think you are doing it wrong if it works for you. I started out sewing clothes and got into quilting because I loved hand sewing. My stitches were not the 14 stitches per inch and I was afraid to let other see what I made. Then one day I was watching Georgia Bonesteel, a world renowned hand quilter, say that consistency was more important than length of stitch and it wasn't going to be written in on grave stone "she stitched 14 stitches per inch." My daughters kept telling me, my quilts were better than I thought they were. Then I went to a quilt show and saw several quilts that made me feel mine were at least as well made. I don't make quilts to show or compete - mine are for friends and family to be used and loved. It's a hobby so enjoy the process!
Thank you quiltingcandy for your well worded reply... I'm so new I'm not even sure what a 14 inch stitches per inch is, other than I can see it in my head.. I'm going to have fun and do the best job I can do on each quilt as I start this journey but if I hand stitch in a few things here and there I'll be happy all the same. But I did buy new sewing machine as it make more sense to me that way for now. That you SO much for your support.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:28 AM

Welcome to the QB!
Old 05-21-2024, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE=cathyvv;8648910]Welcome to the QB![/
Thank you Cathy
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

Welcome from Arizona