Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
recipes with no dairy products >

recipes with no dairy products

recipes with no dairy products

Old 12-11-2007, 11:12 AM

I live with a man who can't have dairy products. This has really changed my cooking! (understatement!) Most of my favorite recipes have milk, cheese, chocolate chips, cream cheese, sour cream and on it goes. You'd be surprised at what has dairy products in them! Anyway, if any of you have yummy recipes, dessert, casseroles, etc. with no dairy that you'd be willing to share I'd love to have them.
Thank you!
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM

He'll eat most anything as long as I cook it!

(I cook. He cleans!)

Thank you in advance Loretta.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:48 PM

I'm interested in most any recipes for anything. I'm trying to get out of my rut here. I much prefer recommended recipes because I'm pretty sure they'll be yummy! I look at recipe books and everything that sounds good to me has dairy! I love milk!!! Sigh! We're not starving but I'm bored with my cooking! Getting to the point I don't enjoy it much. I have learned to use soy milk in many recipes but that doesn't always work. I can use nucoa instead of butter. I'm adapting. Make two pans of enchiladas, one with cheese and one without. Two different calzones, one with cheese and one without. Biggest relief was when Bisquik (sp?) came out with a milk free mix. I use that stuff for everything. So I was just wondering if there were any good recipes out there and if there are any other suggestions.

My daughter has introduced me to the allrecipes.com site. She found a gumbo recipe we like. Here I'll share that with you.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boudreauxs-Zydeco-Stomp-Gumbo/Detail.aspx

Here again, I don't like sea food so I leave out the shrimp. :lol: always something! Sometimes I feel like we're Jack Sprat and his wife!! Earl can't have milk and I can't have salt due to high blood pressure.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 PM

I went through a "phase" where I was lactose intolerant. I found a cheese product in the dairy section that was lactose free. It looked like shredded cheddar cheese and was surprisingly good baked into recipes. It had Spanish on the label too. I don't recall the name. Lucky for me my body chemistry changed and I am now able to eat dairy. It hides in EVERYTHING! Beware of bread....I used tortilla as wraps. Sorbet for dessert instead of ice cream.

I ate a lot of fresh fruit, veggies & salads with special dressings. BBQ or roasted meat and not any casseroles. DD worked at a gourmet pizza place and made me cheese free pizza. The crust was OK for me.

I feel for you! It is time consuming to figure it out and read labels.
Check your library-I found a lactose free cookbook. It helped with ideas.
Good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM

If you have a local organic grocery store they have alot of things that are lactose free, my son can not have lactose sucrose or fructose so I have to be very creative and read all the labels! Usually you can substitute alot of things at these stores that taste practicly the same.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM

Hello Ivonne, IM enjoylife950 have you checked out my chile verde recipe you know you can use a salt subsatute in your recipes try like mrs dash and other subsatutes might not be all that bad I remember when I was in the hospitol due to congestive heart failure they had me on a no salt diet and one of the this they gave me was mrs dash it wasn't that bad.
So give it a try and you can go to foodnetwork.com and go to search and type in your search for non dairy recipes.