Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MY BESSIE PEASE Stuck on fixing blocks to put my quilt together >

MY BESSIE PEASE Stuck on fixing blocks to put my quilt together

MY BESSIE PEASE Stuck on fixing blocks to put my quilt together

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM

I'm stuck on my Besssie Pease. It's the second time I'm doing it. The first time I was so excited I didn't even think about a pattern, I just started. The second time as you can see, I've made my decorater blocks an 1" smaller than my framed blocks. Mind you my sewing is a bit iffy, but I'm getting back into the swing of it. I had to stop doing this quilt for awhile out of frustration. Can anyone help me?

Please download pics, they are normal. For some reason they come up dark on page.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49904.jpe   attachment-49908.jpe   attachment-49909.jpe  
Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

you can add a half-inch to each side of the decorator blocks to bring them up to a matching size. not sure about the diamonds in the third photo. you should be able to cut them out and use them as applique objects if you can't unstitch them for some reason.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 PM

Patrice,
Thank you so much for the reply. I knew that was the obvious answer, but my sewing is still rough around the edges. The problem with adding is that Minky fabric, I think it it's going to keep streching on me, even using a jersy stich.
Do you think I can add a 1/2 fabric interface and use a high quality ribbon on top of that and go over it with a stich? I used Minky fabric, that's the white (dumb) idea for those framed borders (way to strechy). I wanted the quilt to be very girly, very soft you know?
I'm going to put ribbon around the diamonds and other embellishing. I also cut out (exacto) the flowers that were around the children and was going to coordirnate the the framed blocks with the designer.
I have high expectations for this quilt. Am I thinking in the wrong direction?

Elizabeth
Old 01-29-2008, 02:29 AM
Administrator

i think the ribbon idea would work if that's the way you choose to go.

i had to struggle with this for a while because i reeeeeelly don't want to sound critical or discouraging. if i were to be totally honest, i'd have to recommend you remove the minky instead of adding to the other blocks. i think you'd end up with a more sophisticated, feminine top.

if the [currently] framed blocks are still larger without the minky, you can trim them back to match with no damage to the look of the piecework.

once the blocks are matched to size, you can put sashing between them to achieve the "frame" you hoped to get from the minky. you could use traditional frabric ... OR ... you could use ribbon if you want something very different. a medium weight ribbon, at least one inch wide (i'd recommend at least 2") would do nicely. if you're worried about wear and tear, you could reinforce the sashing by adding the innerfacing (or muslin, or any other lightweight but reliable fabric) to the back after it's sashed, and topstitching to hold it in place.

clear as mud?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 AM

I'm still half asleep here, my baby was up ALL night andI just dropped my son off-of course I had to check my email before I go down to nap; to see if anyone has written about my quilt.
I agree with you totally. Unfortunately, some of my (designer) block's are slightly off on the completed size-due to my sewing efforts. A 1/4 in here or one is even a 1/2 inch off (of course it's the girl right in the middle of the quilt :x ). THIS is the problem. So that's why I thought I could dequise the mistake in the sashing.
This is why I am so upset. If I'm not making any sense here, I need you to tell me. I need your help. In otherwords, I was going to lay it down and put the sashing over the Minky. I'm confusing myself :?

AAWWW JJEEEZZ, I don't know-now I'm really lost.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Administrator

sashing on top of the minky will not look good. remove the minky.

i beg you. :lol:

go through all the blocks and find the smallest one. find the largest one.

you have several options.
you can add to the smaller blocks so everything matches the largest, or
you can trim back all of the blocks to match the smallest, OR
add to some and trim the others to create a whole new standard size

or, you can lay down your sashing grid, then move the blocks around underneath until you find an arrangement you like, then pin into place and topstitch to fasten.

here's an idea that just hit me as i was writing this. you know those photo frames you can buy with different sizes and shapes cut out of the matting? they're for framing several pictures at once. instead of a uniform sashing grid, you could make something like that from one or more pieces of fabric, lay it over the blocks and move them around like they were photos in one of those frames, until it looks good. then pin and either satin stitch around the cutouts or do reverse applique.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM

I think you'll be much happier with your quilt if you follow Patrice's suggestion and remove the minky. After you've build your quilt use the minky on the back of the quilt. I've done that several times and it quilts up nicely and the kids still have the soft minky! My grandson's quilt gets put on the floor minky side up more often than not! It works.

You can make blocks different sizes and then just add sashings and 9 patches and what ever blocks you like to fill in the spaces. It's a fun method to use also.

Remember, you have no mistakes only design opportunities here. :D
Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM

I DIDN'T EVEN SEE YOUR REPLY UNTIL TODAY :!:

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH :P
Old 02-04-2008, 06:08 PM

Who IS Minky?

tim in san jose
Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM

YA GOOF :!:
It's a chennille fabric