Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles >

large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles

large tote or bag with two long sticks for handles

Old 09-07-2010, 06:36 AM

Has anyone seen a pattern for a large bag or tote where two sticks like dowels are used for handles? I seen a lady at the quilt guild have one and didn't get a chance to ask her where she got the pattern. She had made it.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Banned

yes; a friend of mine made one for me
Have e-mailed her to see if there are available instructions
Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

We made them at guild. They are big enough to carry quilts. Let me think if I can remember how we did it. I think it was the same as making the casserole carrier only much larger and we used a huge square of heavy fabric. I have the pattern somewhere.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I have seen them, and would like to make one too. They look sturdy, and big enough for lots of quilting goodies. Hope you find a pattern!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 AM

I have taught the class on making them I have designed the pattern for my class.. Pm me and send me two 5" same color squares for directions and stamped adressed envelope.
Carol
Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

i have a book on purses, totes. it has a small bag with "dowel" handles. i read and read and cannot figure out how the handles stay up!!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Blinky
Has anyone seen a pattern for a large bag or tote where two sticks like dowels are used for handles? I seen a lady at the quilt guild have one and didn't get a chance to ask her where she got the pattern. She had made it.
I have made two quilt totes that use dowels for handles and I'm getting ready to make another one. They're actually quite fast and easy to make. And they're big enough to hold a king size quilt.

I don't like the raw wood of the dowels so I paint mine. Ace Hardware and Home Depot both have small paint samples that are the perfect size for a small project and they come in lots and lots of colors.

This is the one I made for my granddaughter that travels back and forth between parent's homes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-113049.jpe   attachment-113050.jpe   attachment-113051.jpe  
Old 09-07-2010, 08:56 AM

I've had this bookmarked for quite a while but never made it. It sounds like the bag you're describing.

http://www.quilt.com/MiscQuilting/ToteDirections.html
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I can't find the pattern but I'll keep looking. What I remember is cutting a very big square of heavy fabric. Turn and sew a 1/4" hem around the square. Take two opposite corners and fold in toward the middle about 8 inches or so. In the folded corners about 2" down from the folded top draw a rectangle about 3 x 5 big enough for your hand to fit in the hole. Cut the rectangle out leaving about 1/2 from drawn line so it can be hemmed around the cut out or overcast the cutout. The dowel rod will fit through the turned corner right over the cut out. Lay your quilts in the open bag and pick up the dowel handles and the bag will enclose the quilts and you are ready to tote.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by gollytwo
yes; a friend of mine made one for me
Have e-mailed her to see if there are available instructions
She made mine with pre-quilted fabric that I chose at Joann's. They had a very good selection, much cheaper (and better looking) than LQS