Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lost my hard drive now I'm lost too >

Lost my hard drive now I'm lost too

Lost my hard drive now I'm lost too

Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM

I lost my hard drive and all of my bookmarks. I have been able to restore the tutorials I had but the other good info is gone. How can I go back further than the current posts to pick up what I had? Not sure if this is the place to post, but I thought I'd try.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:54 PM

I suggest you download FireFox and use xmarks. It will store your bookmarks so they will not be lost. You can even log on from another computer, and there they are! Love my FireFox.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Have you taken your computer in to see if you can recover your hard drive? It is amazing how often much of your data is recoverable.

You might also want to look into a backup for your computer to save your really important data. You can get 3-600 GB drives around $50 (US) or less these days. I admit I don't back up as often as I should but this has gotten so cheap (and easy) I'm starting to feel guilty. I guess that will be tomorrow's project.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:35 PM

You can also export your bookmarks from your browser. It will be a .html file. I back up my bookmarks every other month and I use the date I backed them up on as part of the file name, i.e. bookmarks 9-9-10.html and I store the document in a folder I named bookmarks. That system comes in handy if you ever delete bookmarks. You can refer back to an earlier time if you need to recover the deleted bookmark.

I agree with lab fairy that you should take your computer in. The technicians know of ways to recover your files.

I learned a long time ago to back everything up on disk. Granted, it may take several days to do this. I even back up my email messages. When I got the dreaded blue screen back in March,I wasn't upset because I hadn't lost a single file. Everything was already on disk.

You can back up your files on either CDs or with a pay to store site. I personally prefer CDs. I don't know who these 'pay to store' companies are or what they might do with my files and information. What if they go out of business? Most of those companies are not local. I try to back up my files every 3 months. To make things easier for yourself, you may want to keep a list of those files folders you did something in. That way when you go to back up the latest changes, you only have to back up those particular folders and not all the files on your computer. Then keep all your backup disks in 1 container, preferably away from home, like at work.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Save yourself trouble and quit saving to CD's. You can get an external hard drive (USB drive) that works like a flash drive. It saves you a lot of time and hassle. Talk to any computer place most are very low cost. These are found in a variety of sizes, mine is 400 GB, but whatever size you really think you need works. They are now a little larger than a cell phone and very portable.

There is a phrase around here. "Technology will fail you always. Backup, Backup, Backup." Notice the backup is said three times? We believe in redundancy. Because important files should be stored in a couple places and at least one of them should be off site just in case of a major disaster. I DO NOT store using a "cloud system" (a website) to store my data. Why pay outrageous fees for something this easy, expose my data to possible sources of corruption, and take the chance whoever owns the data storage site stays in business?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
Save yourself trouble and quit saving to CD's. You can get an external hard drive (USB drive) that works like a flash drive. It saves you a lot of time and hassle. Talk to any computer place most are very low cost. These are found in a variety of sizes, mine is 400 GB, but whatever size you really think you need works. They are now a little larger than a cell phone and very portable.

There is a phrase around here. "Technology will fail you always. Backup, Backup, Backup." Notice the backup is said three times? We believe in redundancy. Because important files should be stored in a couple places and at least one of them should be off site just in case of a major disaster. I DO NOT store using a "cloud system" (a website) to store my data. Why pay outrageous fees for something this easy, expose my data to possible sources of corruption, and take the chance whoever owns the data storage site stays in business?
:thumbup: What she said. :-)
Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM

You can save your bookmarks on a free website called Delicious.com.