Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Road trip: Alzheimer's quilt display >

Road trip: Alzheimer's quilt display

Road trip: Alzheimer's quilt display

Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 AM

OK, so this one begins with a one night road trip with a friend whose mom suffers from the dreadful Alzheimers disease. She 'enjoyed' the display (if you can call crying through it enjoying). Next we realized that trying to steer my car was more like steering a tractor and then had to spend the night in a $200 a night hotel because all other cheaper rooms were taken by a huge car show in Shelburn.VT. All this while Sears got parts for the power steering hose, on a Sunday morning no less. All I can do is thank the Lord for an extra night for my friend who really needed to get away.
If you get the opportunity, this has got to be one of the most amazing displays of quilts done by many affected by Alzheimer's from care givers to grandchildren who just wanted to help raise money for the cause. The title of the display is Alzheimer's, Forgetting Piece by Piece. Here is the URL for the site:
http://shelburnemuseum.org/exhibitio...heimer-quilts/
Old 09-20-2010, 11:04 AM

Oh, I recently saw that display at the Shelburne, too, and couldn't stop crying. It was very powerful!
Sorry you had car problems that kept you overnight. My husband I experienced a similar situation many years ago while we were in St. Albans VT on day before Veterans Day weekend on business. There was one motel with room... very cheap... The ATM machine did not work and the mechanic only took cash (big sign in shop). We had enough cash to pay for motel room that night and one sub sandwich to share for dinner. The mechanic sent employee to Burlington to pick up the part before the dealer closed for the 3-day weekend, and when he returned the part was for a different model car. Mechanic rebuilt our alternator the next morning and got the car running. ATM still was not working, and because mechanic felt sorry for us, he let us mail him a check as soon as we got home (which we did). We were so impressed with the mechanic who went above and beyond for us, we wrote a letter to the local newspaper praising this wonderful mechanic!
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM

The display will be retired after the Shelburne exhibit, so you and your friend were fortunate to catch it. I wish I would have been able to see it.

The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative collects quilts all year long if anyone would like to contribute: http://www.alzquilts.org/ It's a wonderful organization dedicated to finding a cure for this awful disease.

Twenty quilts from our very own doll quilt swappers here on the board will be traveling to the International Quilt Festival in Houston this November: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60698-1.htm Our quilts are numbered #5322 through #5341.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

It was awesome how helpful and friendly the Vermont folks were. When my friend saw the quilt with the four 12-inch blocks done by sisters she cried some more. The feelings that those quilts evoke were so close to the bone for her, and yet, she thanked me for suggesting going to see it.. Funny how crying helps get those thoughts out and sometimes helps us deal with issues.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM

Chele, thanks for the info on the exhibit in Houston. Does anyone who saw the exhibit currently in Vermont know where we might find the book they had for sale? (they were sold out) My friend really wants her dad to see the quilts, feeling it may help him deal with his wife's 'memory holes'
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 AM

You can buy the book on the AAQI site: http://www.alzquilts.org/book.html
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks! I've passed this info along.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:36 PM

We hope to go next week. Daughter is getting married in Vermont and we plan to take a few days and see fall tree colors and obther sites in the area! The Shelburne Museum is on our list along with the one in Bennington.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 PM

Thank you for sharing my mom recently died and she had Alzheimers i didnt know there was such a show i will look in to it and see what i can contribute to this cause, but for now i cant look at the site it brings to many sad memeries for me but time will heal and i will get the courage to view the site

thank you again maybe if i get involved with this cause to cure i will feel i can move on about my loss