Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 03-06-2011, 04:22 AM

Beautiful blocks Jupiter and Deecee! They look so nice all together. Jupiter, I love the blue and yellow liberty star! I'm glad you posted the green set separately, they are really beautiful and it's hard to see all the detail when they are posted next to the big set.

Love looking at all the blocks!

Here are my blocks - I put them on a dark background because I plan to sash them and wanted to see what they would look like with dark sashing. The verdict is that dark brown is good, but that particular fabric would be too busy. The blocks have so much going on that the eye needs somewhere to rest! I ordered some Moda Marbles in mink (second pic) - not a batik, but I think it will work well for sashing the blocks.

I've grown to like my Rosellen's Cross, so I won't be changing it after all, but I will be redoing Laura's Cathedral Window this week. The values of the brown and the red are too close and the red doesn't glow the way I want it to. Not exactly sure what I'm going to change the brown to, but I will post once I get it done.

Sashing color
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124511[/ATTACH]

My blocks so far...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124664[/ATTACH]

Without sashing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]124666[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-124506.jpe   attachment-124659.jpe   attachment-124661.jpe  
Old 03-06-2011, 04:32 AM

Has anyone given any thought to how they are going to quilt this puppy? I don't even know where to begin...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh Ladies.......Your blocks are absolutely gorgeous!!! All the different colors.......it's amazing how different they can look with the same patterns.

I will continue to follow everyone's creations, but this technique is way beyond my skills. Trying these each morning is causing me more anxiety than pleasure, and my sewing is strictly for my pleasure.

If anyone would like my book, please PM me your address and I will send it off to you at no charge.

I just bought a "beginning" applique book and will start with it I think. ;-)

My next "project" is to work on a Radiant Star block, then a quilt. Then on to a Mariner's Compass to conquer.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 AM

Beautiful work you've all done. Here are mine, zonky and crooked and somewhat appealing:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-135570.jpe  
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM

They are lovely, Irene. They have a "free spirit" to them!

hugs, Jup
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear that you won't be making the blocks with us. But you are right... if it doesn't bring pleasure to you, there is no reason to torture yourself. You can at least stay with us on the journey and enjoy visiting and viewing.

hugs, Jup
Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi Lara,

The quilting..... hmmmmm.... one project at a time for me! When the blocks are done, then there is the assembly with all its possibilities, then picking the backing fabric.... maybe someday they will really get quilted???!!!

I like to play at free-motion quilting, but for my serious quilts that will be shown, I send them to my pal Gina to quilt. She is good! Not sure how I will do my projects here.

The blue quilt is a Christmas present for my daughter and son-in-law. Those 12" blocks will go together with sashing and a border. The green and brown, 6" blocks, will probably be set in the star pattern that Penny put in the book, and will be a quilt I keep for my bed.

hugs, Jup
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi Lara, I love your blocks! They are coming out really nice. I actually like the first sashing you show... brown print that matches some of your piecing. It gives a warm, exciting glow to the blocks, I think. However, if it makes your eyes jump, then its not the best for you.

hugs. Jup
Old 03-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Irene - Your blocks are more than somewhat appealing , they look lovely in your colour combinations.

Lara I am sashing the 6" blocks also (without stars) and think your choice of brown really adds to the warmth of the colours. I actually quite like the touch of red in the patterned brown but the mink is lovely also.

Linda I hope you continue to keep an eye on this thread and perhaps you might give PH another go later on. There is no benefit in stressing over something that should be done for the pleasure of it.

I was thinking about the quilting while I was sewing my last block and have to admit I was hoping perhaps a brighter spark than I might come up with a light bulb idea.

I am vaguely considering doing QAYG which would rule out an all over design. I shall wait for inspiration.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Ladies, Wow!!!! They are all so beautiful! They all have their own unique feel, I can't believe the difference the colors make. I'm not going to be able to join in, can't get together a good color range right now. I am definitely enjoying myself following along, watching your progress. Thanks.