Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage Recipes:  Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy! >

Cabbage Recipes: Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy!

Cabbage Recipes: Do you eat cabbage on New Years Day? Post your Cabbage Recipes here for all of us to enjoy!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Google Goddess

Scalloped Cabbage Casserole

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/scallo...le/Detail.aspx
Old 12-31-2010, 07:36 PM

is that a good luck thing eating cabbage on new year
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 AM

It's supposed to bring another year of prosperity. We all need that, don't we.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:55 AM

there was a dish i had one time, fried cabbage, it was great! i think it had noodles in it too..
Old 01-01-2011, 06:16 AM

I don't, and my family thanks me for it. Cabbage gives me horrible gas.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 AM

I don't cook cabbage. Some of my family can't eat it cooked. I make freezer slaw. 1 head cabbage, carrots, and green pepper. Shred and sprinkle with salt. Let set one hour. Dressing is 2 cups sugar ( I used Splenda as I'm not supposed to have sugar and it works well.) 1 cup vinegar, 1 teaspoon celery seed and 1 teaspoon mustard see. Boil 1 minute and cool. Drain cabbage mixture. Pour on dressing. Store in refrigerator. Mine never makes it to the freezer, as we eat on it until it's gone.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:28 AM

I love cabbage but didn't know about it supposing to bring good luck...that's OK because I don't hold with luck. I believe in Divine Appointment...what happens is supposed to happen. But not a fatalist, either.Instead I am making Salmon Pie....not as good as Moody's Diner but still yummy. Happy New Year. PS. We love the cabbage and noodles (add some sauteed oinions)...both are of Eastern European ancestry.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by fmd36
I love cabbage but didn't know about it supposing to bring good luck...that's OK because I don't hold with luck. I believe in Divine Appointment...what happens is supposed to happen. But not a fatalist, either.Instead I am making Salmon Pie....not as good as Moody's Diner but still yummy. Happy New Year. PS. We love the cabbage and noodles (add some sauteed oinions)...both are of Eastern European ancestry.

how do YOU make the fried cabbage/noodles and onions?!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Slice cabbage as if for cole slaw. Add to a pot of boiling water and cook for no more than 5 mins (we like it crisp). Drain well. Sautee onions until golden. Add both to cooked broad egg noodles. Add a little olive oil or butter to keep noodles from sticking.We don't use salt(HBP) but add dill weed or dill seed or caraway seeds. Can be topped with sour cream. Can also add some cooked ground beef (drain the beef well). Easy to make into casserole to reheat but butter baking dish so the noodles don't stick. We eat very basic "sturdy,peasant stock" type of food. Also great with Polish susage or even hot dogs. Think outside the box.
The "fried" comes from the fact that noodles and cabbage can be added to frying pan the onions were cooked in.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:52 PM

Thank you !
i will book mark it! yummy!