Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook? >

Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

Do you have champagne taste on a beer pocketbook?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:48 PM

While shopping today for furniture- couch, chair , recliner. My DD and I walked by dozens and dozens of livingroom suites, beautiful ones, but I need leather with 3 boys , and suddenly I see this gorgeous dark chocolate leather sofa, non reclining, high back, comfortable, the large tacks around the bottom. Of course I had to touch it. Oh my, so nice, whole leather, not split. Make you crave a candy bar it looks so divine. Ask the salesman a few questions, then how much for the set. He informs me that this is their finest couch on the floor, their highest end piece. Duh, of course leave it to me to pick the highest item in the store. And I find that I do this with everything, like fabric, clothes,jewelry, cars, you name it. Now growing up, we were not poor , but not comfortable either ( you know that gray area) . We shopped second hand and yard sales in the lean times. Mom taught us to be thankful for what we had and find alternatives. Like finding a pretty dress that was too expensive and going home and making your own pattern and sewing one up. So I am able to go with plan c,d or e,f & g and find something in my budget that is similar, no problem. And don't get me wrong, I know that I am blessed! The lord, who loves me, my family , a roof over my head. I could go on & on.. but I get frustrated with my champagne taste. Does anyone else encounter this problem? I also know that in the scheme of things this has no importance but it is irksome.* Note* I don't buy either of those , I just know that one cost more than the other :lol:
Old 01-17-2011, 11:21 PM

Well it is a bother sometimes but I like to think of it as being able to discern the best quality at a glance! If you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM

My husband and I do it all of the time. Sometimes, we go ahead and buy it. Most times not. We have a very long "When We Win the Lottery Wish List" though. Once something goes on the list, we happily forget about it.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:06 AM

Yes it happens to me all the time! But then again leather does last and last with little boys or big ones :)
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 AM

honey I don't even have the money to buy the hops that goes into the beer. When my husband worked I bought the best now I guess as they say Karma is a B--t-- cause I can't buy anything now
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 AM

Champagne taste and a beer pocketbook. I can relate totally to that. As I've gotten older, I have come to
accept it more. What I've found as I've gotten
older is I say to myself I'll think about it, and the next thing I know days and days have gone by and I've completely forgotten about it, which makes me think I didn't really need it in the first place. I have to totally forget
about it before I can look for a substitute. What usually happens is the substitute turns out to be better than what I fell in love with in the first place. Strange how that works.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
Well it is a bother sometimes but I like to think of it as being able to discern the best quality at a glance! If you look at it that way, it doesn't seem so bad!
scowlkat, thanks! That is a very postive way of looking at it.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM

Hubby and I were talking about redoing the kitchen. I'm trying to use the cabinets again (if possible) and we were talking about countertops. I said Corian, he said granite. Our budget says Corian- he says I want to be rich. I told him we could have granite countertops and absolutely no appliances (which is what needs replacing- repaired fridge 2 x, oven is going, dishwasher works if I prop a chair against it for pressure to make the sensors touch). Luckily the floor is beautiful and does not need replacing- a value I was glad I got 9 years ago, costly then, but cost saving now.

I am trying for champagne on generic beer pocketbook.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Barbm
Hubby and I were talking about redoing the kitchen. I'm trying to use the cabinets again (if possible) and we were talking about countertops. I said Corian, he said granite. Our budget says Corian- he says I want to be rich. I told him we could have granite countertops and absolutely no appliances (which is what needs replacing- repaired fridge 2 x, oven is going, dishwasher works if I prop a chair against it for pressure to make the sensors touch). Luckily the floor is beautiful and does not need replacing- a value I was glad I got 9 years ago, costly then, but cost saving now.

I am trying for champagne on generic beer pocketbook.
LOL
Oh, I feel your pain on that one. Picked out the most beautiful granite countertop, reality check! Laminate with granite look. Half of cabinets are new, the rest are old. New fridge was bought 1/2 price because of a dent on its side,paint still intact. Guess I'm doing the green thing and I love to get a bargain.
:lol:
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 AM

My dad always told me, " you have chapagne taste on a beer bottle budget!" He was so right. But, I don't buy the most expenisve, I challenge myself to find something like it in my price range. It is amazing how well that works for me! LOL

I love to look at curtains and drapes, and go home and make my own for very cheap compared to what I saw. I like to look at quilts and say "I can do that" and it only costs me my fabric and time.

I have Pflatzgraff dishes in the Yorktowne pattern. They have an outlet not far from me, but I never go there. Instead, I found an indoor flea market that sells everything including my dishes. I get stuff there for $2, ok not new, but still nice! I have gotten many pieces from this flea market, stuff that sells for $30 in the outlet store for a few bucks.

I am frugal! I like "nice" things but won't pay for them at retail costs. I love a sale with a coupon! I can and will shop this way. Heck, even the local rag shop has lots of new clothes with tags on them for a few dollars that I buy! I am not going to spend a bunch of money when I can save! LOL