Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storing Your Stash >

Storing Your Stash

Storing Your Stash

Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 AM

I've noticed many people store their stash in clear plastic bins and even clear plastic bags. Is there a reason for this? I have my fabric on shelves in my tiny sewing room/office, which is usually covered in dust! Should I be putting my fabrics into some sort of container? Thanks for your help!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 AM

I started out by storing fabric on shelves, but if your not going to use it in the immediate future, you have the dust issue to deal with & if exposed to light, the folded edges may fade. I now have all my stash fabric in dresser drawers or plastic containers away from light.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 AM

Can you tack/drape a sheet of heavy plastic over your shelves?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:31 AM

I just started using the priority envelopes. Can't see what it is but I just write on the outside. Just started this so time will tell
David
Old 01-26-2011, 05:51 AM

I have shelves and bins.

I use latching flat containers for my FQs. The bins are sorted by color with clear tops to see through and hold two single rows length wise of folded FQs. I do not have to "open" them when I am in search of a fabric.

My yardage (anything over 1/2 yd) is stored on shelves. With these, as well, I try to keep colors tog. I guess that bins would be great for keeping yardage clean, but with the amount of Fabric I have I cannot afford bins for all that.

I do keep some taller bins for "projects" or WIPs. In these, I put all fabric and the pieces (if done) all together for the completion of the project. Can not tell you how often I have cut into a "neat" fabric - only to figure out later I was going to use it for a specific purpose!!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM

I use bins and bags to avoid the problems others have stated - dust and light fading. Also, I just don't have the shelf or closet space.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:27 AM

I use bins. Some of my fabric has been cut squares, I place those in a plastic sandwich bag and then into the bin with the rest of my stash
Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by KANDU
Can you tack/drape a sheet of heavy plastic over your shelves?
I think I may have to do this since I don't have alot of space of the bins. Everyone sounds so organized! I need to get with it.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi Ellie's Nana,

Like you, I have the majority of my stash on shelves in the closet. I attached several "hook and loop" fasteners ($1 in the VALUE section at Joann Fabrics - lots of colors-I got beige to blend with shelving). Then I finished a muslin piece to size, attached hook n loop to it and connected the piece to the shelfing. When I started out I only has one shelf of fabric but I was optimistic and made the muslin to cover all 5 shelves. When I want to "see the fabric", I just unhook the muslin cover. When it is attached, it looks so neat and tidy. Happy sewing!
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
Hi Ellie's Nana,

Like you, I have the majority of my stash on shelves in the closet. I attached several "hook and loop" fasteners ($1 in the VALUE section at Joann Fabrics - lots of colors-I got beige to blend with shelving). Then I finished a muslin piece to size, attached hook n loop to it and connected the piece to the shelfing. When I started out I only has one shelf of fabric but I was optimistic and made the muslin to cover all 5 shelves. When I want to "see the fabric", I just unhook the muslin cover. When it is attached, it looks so neat and tidy. Happy sewing!
This sounds like an interesting idea. I'll have to check out Joann's for the fasteners. I love the idea of neat and tidy! Thanks for the tips.