Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"? >

Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"?

Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb"?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm a hand quilter, and I've been enjoying it more and more recently. Problem is, I can't get out of the habit of quilting with my thumb nail. I've tried every thimble imaginable, and thought I could possibly use a leather 'ring'-type. I'm now finding out that because I normally push with my nail, and with the thimble it's around my thumb so I need to push with my fingerprint-part, it's forcing me to lock my thumb to push and now my thumb is starting to really bother me.

Is there such as thing as "quilter's thumb", and does anyone else have this problem?? For the moment I'll be going back to my old habit. :roll: It doesn't hurt, and my stitches seem smaller.

Trina in snowy PA
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Well, I am not sure of the quilter's thumb, but if you find how you are quilting works for you, then I would stick to it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:17 AM

just be careful quilting with your nail because one slip is going to be one painful finger if the needle stabs under your thumbnail.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by babyfireo4
just be careful quilting with your nail because one slip is going to be one painful finger if the needle stabs under your thumbnail.
Been there, done that! But, thankfully, it typically doesn't happen often. I think it is some type of official form of torture. I know it's not fun!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

It's probably a repetitive stress type injury. That can happen to any part of the body that is used repetitively in a way that nature did not intend....
Old 01-29-2011, 11:31 AM

I can't figure out how you're pushing the needle with your thumb, before I made me learn to use a thimble I used my nail on my middle finger where I now wear a thimble. I use my thumb to know when the needle is through the fabric.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by kathy
I can't figure out how you're pushing the needle with your thumb, before I made me learn to use a thimble I used my nail on my middle finger where I now wear a thimble. I use my thumb to know when the needle is through the fabric.
I have a strange habit, and I guess it comes from being self-taught. I find it easier to quilt from bottom to top (up), using my right thumb nail (underneath) to push the needle & my index fingers on both hands to 'feel' the needle going up & down. SO, when I use a ring on my thumb it straightens the knuckle & forces me to push with it straight and not bent like I'm used to. Does this make sense? Am I the only weirdo quilter who does this? :shock:
Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Do you know this?

http://www.tedstorm.nl/eng/index.php...d=34&Itemid=53
Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Looks cool, but in the pictures you can still see the person's thumb needs to be straight to use. My knuckle is bent & the needle sets on the tip of my finger not the middle.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I'm still trying to figure out how you quilt with your thumb. I've read your post 4 times! LOL :D:D