Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How are quilts judged? >

How are quilts judged?

How are quilts judged?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Just a simple question. Do all of your quilt shows have the person's name on the quilt during the whole show?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Good question. At our last guild quilt show, I won a ribbon on one I entered just for fun, and didn't get anything on the one I was most proud of. Apparently I am missing something.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Here are a couple of websites you might be interested in. I briefly looked them over and now plan to go back to them. The have some of the same info, but also some different info. The first and last are from professional quilting sites. Hope it helps.

http://nqaquilts.org/judges/judges-faq.php
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ing_quilt.html
http://www.professionalquilter.com/w.../quilt-judging
Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Just a simple question. Do all of your quilt shows have the person's name on the quilt during the whole show?
At our fair the entrant's name is hidden. The building is closed to the public while the entries are judged. they make any comments they might have on the back of your tag and any ribbons won are attached to the entry.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:23 AM

I have entered a quilt in a show several times and when I got back the quilt I always received a short statement. The judges mentioned the quality of my quilting, how the binding is made and some remarks about the design. This was always very helpful for me! But, to be honest, for me it is better not to know exactly how quilts are judged. I always try to do my best and that is enough for me. If the judges don't like the quilt or find something I could have done better I can learn from it.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 AM

Design and execution at the judges whimsy ;-)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
I have entered a quilt in a show several times and when I got back the quilt I always received a short statement. The judges mentioned the quality of my quilting, how the binding is made and some remarks about the design. This was always very helpful for me! But, to be honest, for me it is better not to know exactly how quilts are judged. I always try to do my best and that is enough for me. If the judges don't like the quilt or find something I could have done better I can learn from it.
good attitude!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 AM

I have to agree with this. I'm not in a guild any more, but I have entered in both guild shows and fairs. You learn so much seeing the quilt from someone else's eyes. You may not agree and they may judge you down because it's green not their favorite color blue, but I think it is worthwhile if you have a show with professional judges.
Originally Posted by LivelyLady
I have entered quilts in the little hill town fairs and although I have gotten blue ribbons I also have gotten no ribbons The great thing is, is they critique the quilts for only your eyes to see. So it's not only fun, but it's a great learning curve.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
I do know for a fact that there are a few that they start out with. 1. they want to make sure the quilt is perfectly squared. 2. the binding are full. 3. all points are pefect. 4. all seams are not bulky. 5. the quilting blends with/into the quilt. the rest is up to each individual judge(errr official quilt police) Joking...... You have to remember each judge is only offering thier own oppinions. you can have 1 specific quilt looked at by 5 different judges and each one will say something different.
What do you mean by "the binding are full"?
Old 02-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

At our local fair, the quilts are judged first on the binding, then if the quilt is square and then on the piecing and quilting. Best of Show is the one the judges thought was the prettiest of all the blue ribbon winners, not which one was made the best.